Higher education at a time of transformation : new dynamics for social responsibility
- Basingstoke, Hampshire, U.K. ; New York : GUNI : Palgrave Macmillan, 2009.
- Physical description
- xxi, 222 p. : ill. (chiefly col.), map ; 28 cm.
- GUNI series on the social commitment of universities.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC171 .H54 2009||Unknown|
- Global University Network for Innovation.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Foreword: The Role of GUNI Introduction-- UNESCO Global Issues Regional Overview Conclusion.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780230233379 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- Higher Education at a Time of Transformation: New Dynamics for Social Responsibility was specially commissioned by UNESCO for the 2009 World Conference on Higher Education (WCHE). Taken from the Global University Network of Innovation (GUNI) Series on the Social Commitment of Universities, which explores key issues facing higher education in the twenty-first century, this publication is a synthesis of the three reports: / Higher Education in the World 2006: The Financing of Universities / Higher Education in the World 2007: Accreditation for Quality Assurance: What is at Stake? / Higher Education in the World 3. Higher Education: New Challenges and Emerging Roles for Human and Social Development Including contributions from 70 authors from 34 countries, this publication showcases the key ideas from the global issues and the regional perspectives, as well as 24 good practices, making it an essential tool for all involved in higher education. This publication analyzes the present and future challenges faced by higher education institutions in the context of globalization, providing a perspective on the financing of higher education, and on the accreditation mechanisms that are in place for assuring quality. It also examines the challenges and emerging roles of higher education in terms of its contribution to human and social development. The publication also focuses on how higher education institutions (HEIs) could contribute to a systematic and proactive analysis to develop critical discourses with which societies can continually reflect on their evolution for a positive social transformation. It considers how HEIs could strengthen their role as agents of transformation, facing both local and global challenges, and suggests that their vision and mission need to be re-oriented towards the creation and distribution of socially relevant knowledge and a complex understanding of reality, thus strengthening their social responsibility and contributing, through knowledge, to a harmonious global development. GUNI was founded by UNESCO, the United Nations University (UNU) and the Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya (UPC), after the first WCHE. This year is the tenth anniversary of both the conference and GUNI, and it is within this framework that this publication aims to stimulate serious debate on the social responsibility of higher education and its relevance at the local and global context in this time of change.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780230233379 20160528
- Education, Higher.
- Publication date
- GUNI series on the social commitment of universities
- "1st published by Palgrave Macmillan"--T.p. verso.
- 9780230233379 (pbk.)
- 0230233376 (pbk.)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: