Countdown to non-fiction writing : step by step approach to writing techniques for 7-12 years
- Steve Bowkett.
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2010.
- Physical description
- vi, 132 p. : ill. ; 30 cm.
- Countdown (Routledge (Firm))
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1576 .B5363 2010 F||Unknown|
- Bowkett, Stephen.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 129-130) and index.
- Introduction Section 1 -- Non-Fiction, Fiction, Truth and Lies 37 How can we tell it's non fiction? 36 What is a fact? 35 What is an opinion? 34 What is truth? 33 Fact, opinion and wisdom 32 Example of fact and opinion 31 Some tips for writing non fiction -- Purpose, audience and style 30 Non fiction text types -- Persuading, Instructing, Reporting, Explaining, Recounting, Discussing 29 Types, forms and styles Section 2 -- Questioning Skills 28 Be nosy -- the importance of questions 27 Types of question -- closed, open, specific, general, rhetorical, philosophical 26 It's OK not to know -- feeling comfortable with uncertainty 25 Yes but what does it mean? 24 Interpretation: questioning the answers -- and questioning the questions -- refining and clarifying questions Section 3 -- Evaluating Information 23 Evaluating information 22 Ambiguity (and punctuation) 21 Scepticism 20 Reading between the lines 19 The words in the tones -- emotive language Section 4 -- Persuasive Writing 18 How to put feelings into writing/the power of generalisations 17 Words that influence (including strong verbs, adjectives, adverbs) 16 The language of advertising -- wordplay, puns rhymes, slogans, exaggeration, intriguing questions, embedded suggestions Section 5 - Writing an Argument (Discursive Writing) 15 How to prepare an argument 14 Argument planner 13 Persuasive arguments 12 Does it follow? Logical linking / evidence is strength 11 A note on metaphors 10 Controversial issues / viewpoints 9 Assessing arguments 8 The value of discussion Section 6 - Writing to Inform 7 Some tips 6 Descriptive writing -- examples and games 5 Personal and impersonal 4 Directions and instructions 3 Recounting and reporting / news article template 2 Writing a letter Section 7 -- Putting it all together 1 Concept maps and making notes Review.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415492591 20160527
- Publisher's Summary
- Offers information you need in helping pupils to prepare for, understand, and write non-fiction.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415492591 20160527
- Publication date
- Countdown series
- "A David Fulton Book"--Cover.
- 9780415492591 (pbk.)
- 0415492599 (pbk.)
- 9780203867419 (ebook)
- 0203867416 (ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: