Developing helping skills : a step-by-step approach
- Valerie Nash Chang, Sheryn T. Scott, Carol L. Decker.
- Belmont, CA : Brooks/Cole Cengage Learning, c2009.
- Physical description
- xxvii, 244 p. ; 24 cm. + 1 DVD-ROM (4 3/4 in.)
Education Library (Cubberley)
Library has: 1 v. + 1 DVD-
|BF636.6 .C48 2009||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 229-237) and index.
- Introduction. Teaching-Learning System: Working with Cases, Practice and Evaluation. A Few Words about Language. Section I: FOUNDATION. 1. Importance of Self Understanding. 2. Ways of Understanding and Perceiving Others. 3. Understanding Professional Relationships. Section II: BUILDING RELATIONSHIPS. 4. Core Interpersonal Qualities. 5. Basic Interpersonal Skills. 6. Opening and Closing a Session. 7. Expressing Understanding. Section III: EXPLORING WITH CLIENTS. 8. Using Questions to Explore. 9. Seeking Clarification and Further Understanding. 10. Assessing Readiness and Motivation. Section IV: DEFINING THE FOCUS OF WORK. 11. Identifying Key Problems or Challenges. 12. Establishing Goals. Section V: TAKING ACTION, EVALUATING, AND ENDING. 13. Taking Action. 14. Evaluating Progress and Ending Professional Relationships. Appendix A: Practice Evaluation Scales. Appendix B: Overall Evaluation.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Build your fundamental helping skills, and more important, the ability to transfer those skills to actual real-world situations with the unique approach found in Chang/Scott/Decker's DEVELOPING HELPING SKILLS: A STEP BY STEP APPROACH. These experienced authors have created a blend of learning methods and clear presentations throughout this text and integrated DVD that help readers at any level think like practitioners and appropriately apply foundational skills. Self-assessment, critical thinking, and practice play a central role in the book's presentation as the text prepares professionals in training for generalist practice with individuals, families, and groups, including entire communities and organizations. Whether you are preparing for social work, psychology, counseling, marriage and family therapy, pastoral counseling, human services, or a related helping profession, this unique book offers the fundamental knowledge and skills sets you need. The authors' multilayered learning system, unlike any other text on the market, integrates reading, discussion, observation and visualization, practice, and evaluation. You begin by reading the text and completing the homework exercises that follow each new concept. You then view the accompanying DVD to see how to apply the skills in practice effectively. The text's case-based approach helps you think like a professional with a continuing case that is introduced one section at a time. Finally, role playing in practice interviews and completing evaluation tools allow you to assess progress and determine your personal readiness to apply your skills within actual life settings.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9780495092582 (pbk.)
- 9780495092636 (DVD-ROM)
- 0495092584 (pbk.)
- 0495092630 (DVD-ROM)
Browse related items
Start at call number: