Global creation : space, mobility and synchrony in the age of the knowledge economy
- Simon Marginson, Peter Murphy and Michael A. Peters.
- New York : Peter Lang, c2010.
- Physical description
- ix, 304 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB2325 .M382 2010||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction : the protean and the global / Simon Marginson
- The enigma of distance / Peter Murphy
- Portal power and thalassic imagination / Peter Murphy
- The world circumference / Peter Murphy
- Space, mobility and synchrony in the knowledge economy / Simon Marginson
- Making space in higher education / Simon Marginson
- Higher education as a global field / Simon Marginson
- The rise of global science and the emerging political economy of international research collaborations / Michael A. Peters
- The virtues of openness in higher education / Michael A. Peters
- Cultural exchange, study abroad and discourse of the other / Michael A. Peters and Shavali Tukeo.
- Publisher's Summary
- This lively and original book changes the way we see globalization and the knowledge economy. Creativity, exchange and the open flow of ideas have long shaped states, economies and everyday life. But knowledge now has an extraordinary dynamism. The world is crisscrossed by traffic in people, data and images. A world society is emerging, though governance is yet to reflect this. Global Creation shows that global creativity is transforming in two ways. First, global synchrony and convergence are changing the conception, production and sharing of creative work and this is feeding back into the core structures of the social world. Second, the global dimension is itself a human product and one that is continually being created. This book explores acts of imagining, producing and regulating the global dimension of action in the past, present and future. It will interest all intelligent readers, particularly those engaged with the history of ideas, political economy, sociology, innovation, or business organization. It follows Creativity and the Global Knowledge Economy (Peters, Marginson, Murphy 2009), also published by Peter Lang.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781433105265 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 1433105268 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781433105272 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1433105276 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: