Assessing student understanding in science : a standards-based K-12 handbook
- Sandra K. Enger, Robert E. Yager.
- 2nd ed.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin Press, c2009.
- Physical description
- xiii, 196 p. : ill. ; 29 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1585.3 .E53 2009||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 185-189) and index.
- Preface Acknowledgments About the Authors 1. A Framework for Assessing Student Understanding in Science Assessment Based on Six Domains of Science I. Conceptual Domain II. Process Domain III. Application Domain IV. Attitude Domain V. Creativity Domain VI. Nature of Science Domain Assessment Approaches Aligned With the Six Domains 2. Assessment in the Contexts of Teaching Planning Instruction and Assessment What Assessment Is Formative and Summative Assessment Assessment Types and Approaches National Science Education Assessment Standards Implementing Assessment Guidelines The Internet as an Assessment Resource 3. Evaluating Teaching Practice Action Research Assessment of Classroom Practice With Video Recording Support Sources of Instrumentation for Assessing Practice Self-Assessment of Constructivist Practice Science-as-Inquiry Surveys 4. Rubrics and Scoring Guides Rubrics and Scoring Guides: What Are They? Rubric Construction: A Teacher's Perspective Rubric or Scoring Guide Design Examples of Tasks and Rubrics How Well Does a Rubric Communicate the Original Task? 5. Science Notebooks Science Notebooks: Formative and Summative Assessment Tools Notebook Scaffolds Assessment Components for Notebooks Supporting Graphing Skills and Abilities 6. Assessment Examples for All Grade Levels Open-Ended Questions (Integrates Domains) Student Laboratory Environment Inventory (Integrates Domains) Ideas for Assessing in the Application Domain Observation Checklist (Integrates Domains) Use of Application-Level Multiple-Choice Questions Examples for the Creativity Domain Assessing Attitudes, Preferences, and Processes 7. Assessment Examples for Grades K Through 4 Applying Process Skills and Experimental Design Application Assessment Items for Grades K Through 3 Assessing Attitudes About Science Student Self-Assessment Assessing Perceptions About Scientists 8. Assessment Examples for Grades 5 Through 8 Developing a Group Performance Task Preparation for Standardized Tests Electronic Portfolios for Students Structuring Peer Assessment for Cooperative Groups Class Assessment of Group Project Presentations 9. Assessment Examples for Grades 9 Through 12 Using the Student Laboratory Environment Inventory Looking at Science Processes Assessing Specific Areas of Understanding Assessing Students' Views of the Scientific Process Glossary of Assessment-Related Terminology References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412969932 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- Educators need a way to better assess science curriculum, teaching, and student learning to help our students become leaders, not just followers, in their technological future. Sandra Enger and Robert Yager, two experts in the field, provide the way. Comprehensive yet accessible, this book is packed full of methods for assessing the National Science Education Standards adopted by the National Research Council - the basis for most state and local standards. Alternative assessments, rubrics, grade level exemplars, and ideas for teachers to evaluate and improve their own curriculum and instruction make this practical hands-on guide a must. This book addresses critical issues of assessment including: criteria to measure student progress in the six domains of science: concepts, processes, applications, attitude, the nature of science, and creativity; assessing student learning; evaluating teaching practice; and, designing rubrics and scoring guides. This second edition of "Assessing Student Understanding in Science: A Standards-Based Ku12 Handbook" has been updated throughout and includes a new chapter on using notebooks in the science classroom, as well as extensive coverage of the use of formative assessment during science instruction.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412969932 20160528
- Publication date
- 9781412969925 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 1412969921 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781412969932 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 141296993X (pbk. : alk. paper)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: