Different brains, different learners : how to reach the hard to reach
- Eric Jensen.
- 2nd ed.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2010.
- Physical description
- xvii, 189 p. : ill. (chiefly col.) ; 27 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
LC4704 .J46 2010
- Unknown LC4704 .J46 2010
- Jensen, Eric, 1950-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 176-180) and index.
- Preface Acknowledgments About the Author Introduction Pretest 1. Understanding Different Brains 2. The Brain's Key Operating Systems 3. The Argumentative Learner: Oppositional Defiant Disorder 4. The Resigned Learner: Learned Helplessness 5. The Out-of-Control Learner: Conduct Disorder 6. The Demotivated Learner: Stress Disorders 7. The Troubled Learner: Depression 8. The Isolated Learner: Pervasive Developmental Disorders 9. The Challenged Learner: Learning Delayed 10. The Confused Learner: Dyscalculia 11. The Unsound Learner: Central Auditory Processing Disorder 12. The Impulsive Learner: Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder 13. The Frustrated Learner: Dyslexia Posttest References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- 'Jensen truly understands what educators need to know to provide the opportunities for success that every child needs' - Gerard Dery, Principal Nessacus Regional Middle School, Dalton, MA. 'This is the book that teachers will keep by their desk for quick reference, ideas, inspiration, and hope' - Mary Beth Cary, Teacher, Worth County Primary School, Sylvester, GA. Different learners have different ways of learning, but when students are exposed to chronic stress, trauma, or drugs, or when a student's brain is impacted by developmental delays, abnormality, or chemical imbalances, academic achievement is threatened. Educators need to be able to understand the symptoms and make appropriate adjustments in the classroom. Updated throughout and packed with powerful tools and strategies to help learners improve brain function, this full-colour guide presents a concise outline for identifying prevalent impairments such as oppositional disorder, learned helplessness, attention deficit disorder, dyslexia, dyscalculia, depression, auditory processing deficits, and more. With this reference, teachers can guide students with learning difficulties more effectively and be able to: recognize the most common conditions that challenge learners; accommodate the specific learning needs of students with learning impairments; and, minimize disruptions for other students. The second edition of "Different Brains, Different Learners" helps teachers become facilitators of successful interventions that can turn at-risk students into confident achievers.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781412965019 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 1412965012 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781412965026 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1412965020 (pbk. : alk. paper)