Language diversity in the classroom
LC3731 .E49 2010
- Unknown LC3731 .E49 2010
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 289-334) and index.
- Chapter 1: Introduction Chapter 2: Discourse Analysis and its Discontents Chapter 3: Disadvantage: A Brief Overview Chapter 4: Disadvantage: The Genetic Case Chapter 5: Disadvantage: The Environmental Case Chapter 6: The Language Debate Chapter 7: The Persistence of Linguistic Deficit Chapter 8: Evaluative Reactions to the Language of Disadvantage Chapter 9: Black English as Ebonics Chapter 10: 'Foreign' Languages in the Classroom Chapter 11: Multiculturalism and Multicultural Education Chapter 12: Bilingualism: A Very Brief Overview Chapter 13: Bilingual Education Chapter 14: A Concluding Statement.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This book provides comprehensive coverage of language contact in classroom settings. A thorough analysis of the sources and implications of social disadvantage is presented first, since the nonstandard dialects that children bring with them to school - and the unfavourable perceptions of these dialects - have traditionally given rise to educational difficulties. The persistence of these perceptions is particularly highlighted. More general issues surrounding the range and implications of language attitudes are dealt with, as is the important test case of Black English. The book also discusses foreign-language teaching and learning, as well as the assumptions and intentions underpinning bilingual and multicultural education. Given its breadth and its style, this book should be of interest and value to all teachers, as well as to students and researchers concerned with any aspect of the social life of language.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- John Edwards.
- Bilingual education & bilingualism
- 9781847692269 (hbk : alk. paper)
- 1847692265 (hbk : alk. paper)
- 9781847692252 (pbk : alk. paper)
- 1847692257 (pbk : alk. paper)
- 9781847692276 (ebook)
- 1847692273 (ebook)