Teaching literacy skills to adolescents using Coretta Scott King Award winners
- Bernadowski, Carianne.
- Santa Barbara, Calif. : Libraries Unlimited, c2009.
- Physical description
- xix, 136 p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
LB1631 .B393 2009
- Unknown LB1631 .B393 2009
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 133-134) and indexes.
- I never had it made : the autobiography of Jackie Robinson
- The young landlords
- Everett Anderson's goodbye
- The people could fly : American black folktales
- Justin and the best biscuits in the world
- Fallen angels
- The road to Memphis
- Toning the sweep
- The first part last
- Copper sun.
- Publisher's Summary
- Teaching Literacy Skills to Adolescents Using Coretta Scott King Award Winners has everything teachers need to create lessons in core subjects using the very best of young-adult literature. It offers a rich compilation of classroom-proven reading, writing, and vocabulary activities for promoting strong literacy skills in adolescents. Each chapter focuses on a Coretta Scott King Award winner, offering a selection from the text, a biographical sketch of the author, complete bibliographic information, an annotation, suggested grade level, and discussion questions. These are followed by a series of research-based reading and writing strategies for the book, plus activities in a reproducible format, all targeted to middle or high school grade levels. In addition to chapters on individual titles, the book includes an introductory section that explores the purpose and legacy of The Coretta Scott King Award, as well as the latest developments in literacy research.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Language arts (Secondary) > United States.
- Young adult literature, American > Study and teaching (Secondary)
- African Americans in literature > Study and teaching (Secondary)
- African American teenagers > Books and reading > United States.
- African American teenagers > Education.
- Coretta Scott King Award.
- Publication date
- Carianne Bernadowski.
- "A Linworth Publishing book."
- 9781586833374 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1586833375 (pbk. : alk. paper)