Children as decision makers in education : sharing experiences across cultures
- Sue Cox ... [et al.].
- London ; New York : Continuum, c2010.
- Physical description
- xii, 180 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1555 .C52 2010||Unknown|
- Cox, Sue.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction-- Section 1: Making Space For Children's Decision Making: Perspectives On Educational Policy-- 1. The Changing Context Of Decision Making In English Primary Education-- 2. Participatory School Governance: Children in Decision Making in the Zambian Context-- 3. Participatory Schooling In Prefigurative Form: Two Brazilian Experiences-- 4. From Participating To Defining And Influencing: Supporting Children's Voice For Peacebuilding-- 5. Long Time Coming: Children as Only Occasional Decision Makers in Schools and Teacher Education as Part of the Problem-- Section 2: Children's Decision Making: Its Impact On Life In Schools And The Community-- 6. Children's Clubs In Nepal Campaigning Against Corporal Punishment In Schools-- 7. Every Child: NGO Experiences With Children As Decision Makers In Peru, India and Moldova-- 8. School Councils In Liverpool: Campaigning For Fair Trade-- 9. Cross-City School Councils In The UK-- Section 3: Children As Decision Makers: What Are We Trying To Achieve? The Ethical And Political Dimensions-- 10. Assessing the Benefits and Impacts of Participation-- 11. Uprooting The Rhizomes Of Discrimination: Affect And Cultural Violence in High School in Mexico-- 12. Pedagogy And Cultural Diversity: Children's Participation in Dealing With Difference in India-- 13. The Ethics of Children and other Marginalised Groups Doing Their Own Research-- Section 4: Facilitating Children's Participation: Methods And Approaches-- 14. Children As Researchers: Experiences in a Kent Primary School-- 15. Life In The Classroom: A Pupil Perspective-- 16. Children as agents of environmental change: researching to learn, learning to research.-- 17. Children as Researchers: A Question Of Risk?-- 18. Children's Participation: Radio Broadcasting In Ghana-- Endpiece: Notions of the 'Cross-Cultural' in Relation to Children and Their Role in Decision Making.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780826425485 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- A well-edited collection of case studies showing different experiences from around the world that involve children in decisions regarding their own education. Since the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, there has been an increasing recognition globally that children need to have more say in their education. Ã¢ï¿½Children as Decision Makers in EducationÃ¢ï¿½ is concerned with how children can actively participate in decision-making. It builds upon previous research into student voice and decision-making, citizenship education in the school curriculum and work with children as researchers. This fascinating collection is forward-looking, bringing together cross-cultural experiences and supporting individuals or groups to work collaboratively in the future.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780826425485 20160528
- Publication date
- 9780826425485 (hardcover)
- 0826425488 (hardcover)
Browse related items
Start at call number: