Peaceful resistance : building a Palestinian university under occupation
- Gabi Baramki ; foreword by Jimmy Carter.
- London ; New York : Pluto Press ; New York : Distributed in the U.S.A. exclusively by Palgrave Macmillan, 2010.
- Physical description
- viii, 219 p. : ill., maps ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LG341 .B57 B37 2010||Unknown|
- Baramki, Gabi.
- Acknowledgements-- Introduction-- Chapter 1 Growing Up in Palestine-- Chapter 2 Peace and War-- Chapter 3 Occupation and Education-- Chapter 4 Targeting Birzeit-- Chapter 5 Developing Birzeit-- Chapter 6 "Cells of Illegal Education"-- Chapter 7 "Shaking Off" and Being Shaken-- Chapter 8 Not Obeying Orders-- Chapter 9 Networking Round the World-- Chapter 10 Harassment and Hair Gel-- Chapter 11 Preaching to the Choir-- Appendix i Chronology - Birzeit University-- Appendix ii Deportation Statement from Hanna Nasir November 74-- Appendix iii Israeli lies and half-truths 16 January 1979-- Appendix iv Press release from BZU after 1979 closure-- Appendix v BZU press release after opening in April 1992-- Appendix vi Report from 5 Hebrew University professors on order 854 - 1980-- Appendix vii-a Example of Required loyalty oath. A Commitment form - 1982-3-- Appendix vii-b work permit A with item 18 - 1980-- Appendix vii-c work permit B without item 18 - 1980-- Appendix viii Letter to Secretary Baker - March 1992-- Location of Photograph and Maps-- Map-Photograph Captions.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780745329321 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- This book tells the remarkable story of Birzeit University, Palestine's oldest university in the Occupied Territories. Founded against the backdrop of occupation, it is open to all students, irrespective of income. Putting the study of democracy and tolerance at the heart of its curriculum, Birzeit continues to produce idealistic young people who can work to bring about a peaceful future. Gabi Baramki explains how the University has survived against shocking odds, including direct attacks where Israeli soldiers have shot unarmed students. Baramki himself has been dragged from his home at night, beaten and arrested. Yet Birzeit continues to thrive, putting peace at the heart of its teaching, and offering Palestinians the opportunities that only education can bring.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780745329321 20160528
- Publication date
- Includes index.
- 9780745329321 (hbk.)
- 0745329322 (hbk.)
- 9780745329314 (pbk.)
- 0745329314 (pbk.)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: