The architectural representation of Islam : Muslim-commissioned mosque design in the Netherlands
- Eric Roose.
- English. In English, with summary in Dutch.
- Leiden : ISIM ; Amsterdam : Amsterdam University Press, c2009.
- Physical description
- 416 p. : ill., plans ; 23 cm.
- ISIM dissertations.
- Roose, Eric.
- International Institute for the Study of Islam in the Modern World.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 295-308).
- Contents - 6[-]Acknowledgements - 8[-]Introduction: The Representation of Islamic Architecture[-]in The Netherlands - 10[-]1. Hindustani-Commissioned Mosque Design[-]in The Netherlands - 40[-]2. Moluccan-Commissioned Mosque Design[-]in The Netherlands - 94[-]3. Turkish-Commissioned Mosque Design[-]in The Netherlands - 132[-]4. Moroccan-Commissioned[-]Mosque Design in The Netherlands - 182[-]Conclusion: The Architectural Representation of Islam[-]in The Netherlands - 238[-]Notes - 258[-]Selected Bibliography - 296[-]Samenvatting in het Nederlands - 310[-]Curriculum Vitae - 318[-]Figures - 320.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
This book is a study of Dutch mosque designs, objects of heated public debate. Until now, studies of diaspora mosque designs have largely consisted of normative architectural critiques that reject the ubiquitous 'domes and minarets' as hampering further Islamic-architectural evolution. The Architectural Representation of Islam: Muslim-Commissioned Mosque Design in The Netherlands represents a clear break with the architectural critical narrative, and meticulously analyzes twelve design processes for Dutch mosques. It shows that patrons, by consciously selecting, steering and replacing their architects, have much more influence on their mosques than has been generally assumed. Through the careful transformation of specific building elements from Islamic architectural history to a new context, they literally aim to 'construct' the ultimate Islam. Their designs thus evolve not in opposition to Dutch society, but to those versions of Islam that they hold to be false.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- ISIM dissertations
- Thesis (doctoral)--Universiteit Leiden, 2009.
- 9789089641335 (pbk.)
- 9089641335 (pbk.)
- 9789048508792 (ebook)
- 9048508797 (ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: