Studies in lifelong learning in Africa : from ethnic traditions to technological innovations
- Lewiston, N.Y. : Edwin Mellen Press, c2009.
- Physical description
- ix, 404 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
LC5258 .A2 S78 2009
- Unknown LC5258 .A2 S78 2009
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 367-390) and index.
- Foreword by Ruth Otunga-- Acknowledgements-- Introduction by Moses 0. Oketch and Maurice Amutabi-- 1. Reflections on the Role of Lifelong Learning in Africa - Maurice N. Amutabi and Moses Oketch-- 2. The Place of Lifelong Learning in Promoting Social Justice among African Societies - Frederick Muyia Nafukho-- 3. A History of Lifelong Learning in Africa - Maurice N Amutabi-- 4. Information Explosion Era and Lifelong Learning - Moses O. Oketch-- 5. What Counts as Lifelong Learning in Africa? - Susan Chieni-Cookson-- 6. Lifelong Learning in Current Social and Political Environments in Africa - Fibian Lukalo-Munoko-- 7. Some Providers of Lifelong Learning (LLL) Programs in Anglophone Sub-Saharan Africa - Hannah Carew-- 8. Access and Opportunity for Lifelong Learners in Africa - John Mwaruvie-- 9. Gender, Feminism and Lifelong Learning in Africa - Elinami V. Swai-- 10. Globalization and Lifelong Learning in Africa - Kenneth Inyani Simala-- 11. From Schooling for Some to Lifelong Learning for All: A Paradigm Shift for Education and Development in Africa - Atieno Adala and Auma Okwany-- 12. Philosophical Perspectives of Lifelong Learning - Winston Jumba Akala-- 13. Conclusion - Maurice Amutabi and Moses Oketch-- Bibliography-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This work examines and decodes African ways of thinking and learning and beliefs and value systems, while faulting the ambivalence that has attended the study of the subject in the past. It uses pedagogical, historical, and sociological thinking, and postmodern, postcolonial, and feminist theoretical approaches to interrogate ways to analyze lifelong learning in Africa.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Maurice N. Amutabi and Moses O. Oketch ; with a foreword by Ruth Otunga.
- 9780773447578 (hbk.)
- 0773447571 (hbk.)