Literacy in times of crisis : practices and perspectives
- edited by Laurie MacGillivray.
- New York : Routledge, 2010.
- Physical description
- x, 199 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1575.8 .L54 2010||Unknown|
- MacGillivray, Laurie.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Preface Personal Prologue Chapter 1: Introduction: Examining Crisis, Laurie MacGillivray and Devon Brenner Chapter 2:Commentators' Introductions, Tracy Sweeney (Early Career Teacher), Jane Ching Fung (Veteran Teacher) and Elizabeth Birr Moje (Teacher Educator and Researcher) Part I: Reading and Writing in Times of Crisis Chapter 3: Making Contact in Times of Crisis: Literacy Practices in a Post-Katrina World, April Whatley Bedford and Devon Brenner Chapter 4: "Hallelujah!" Bible-Based Literacy Practices of Children Living in a Homeless Shelter, Laurie MacGillivray Chapter 5: Reactions to Divorce: Communication and Child Writing Practices, Gisele Ragusa Chapter 6: Reading and Writing Teenage Motherhood: Changing Literacy Practices and Developing Identities, Kara L. Lycke Chapter 7: When Daddy Goes to Prison: Examining Crisis through Fanfiction and Poetry, Mary K. Thompson Chapter 8: Disability Identification: Shifts in Home Literacy Practices, Gisele Ragusa Part II: Crises Arising from Literate Practices Chapter 9: Finding Husbands, Finding Wives: How Being Literate Creates Crisis, Loukia K. Sarroub Chapter 10: A State Takeover: The Language of a School District Crisis, Rebecca Rogers and Kathryn Pole Chapter 11: Brewing a Crisis: Language, Educational Reform, and the Defense of a Nation, Susan Florio-Ruane Part III: Reflecting on Crisis and Literacy Chapter 12 Commentators' Insights, Tracy Sweeney (Early Career Teacher), Jane Ching Fung (Veteran Teacher) and Elizabeth Birr Moje (Teacher Educator and Researcher) List of Contributors.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415871631 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- Covers fresh ground for teachers and teacher educators for whom crisis is a daily part of their work. Exploring the relationship between crisis and literacy, this work aims to improve educators' ability to recognize, cope with, and avoid crisis, and to advance their understanding of the dynamic relationship between political literacy practices.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415871631 20160528
- Suitable for teachers and teacher educators, this book explores the relationship between crisis and literacy. It helps improve educators' ability to recognize, cope with, and avoid crisis, and to advance their understanding of the dynamic relationship between crisis and cultural, historical, and political literacy practices.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415871648 20160528
- Publication date
- 9780415871648 (pbk)
- 9780415871631 (hbk)
- 9780203866290 (ebk)
- 0415871646 (pbk)
- 0415871638 (hbk)
- 0203866290 (ebk)
Browse related items
Start at call number: