Researching collocations in another language : multiple interpretations
- edited by Andy Barfield, Henrik Gyllstad.
- Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire [England] ; New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2009.
- Physical description
- xix, 273 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
P118.2 .R475 2009
- Unknown P118.2 .R475 2009
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 245-265) and index.
- Acknowledgements Notes on Contributors Foreword Introduction: Researching L2 Collocation Knowledge and Development-- A.Barfield & H.Gyllstad PART I: L2 COLLOCATION LEARNER CORPUS RESEARCH Effects of Second Language Immersion on Second Language Collocational Development-- N.Groom Sound Evidence: Phraseological Units in Spoken Corpora-- P.M.S.Lin & S.Adolphs Exploring L1 and L2 Writing Development Through Collocations: A Corpus-Based Look-- R.Reppen Commentary on Part I: Learner Corpora: A Window onto the L2 Phrasicon-- S.Granger PART II: L2 COLLOCATION LEXICOGRAPHIC AND CLASSROOM MATERIALS RESEARCH Towards Collocational Webs for Presenting Collocations in Learners' Dictionaries-- S.Handl Japanese Learners' Collocation Dictionary Retrieval Performance-- Y.Komuro Designing Pedagogic Materials to Improve Awareness and Productive Use of L2 Collocations-- J.Jiang Commentary on Part II: Exploring Materials for the Study of L2 Collocations-- H.Nesi PART III: L2 COLLOCATION KNOWLEDGE ASSESSMENT RESEARCH Evaluating a New Test of Whole English Collocations-- R.L.Revier Towards an Assessment of Learners' Receptive and Productive Syntagmatic Knowledge-- J.Eyckmans Designing and Evaluating Tests of Receptive Collocation Knowledge: COLLEX and COLLMATCH-- H.Gyllstad Commentary on PART III: Developing and Validating Tests of L2 Collocation Knowledge-- J.Shillaw PART IV: L2 COLLOCATION LEARNER PROCESS AND PRACTICE RESEARCH Collocation Learning Through an 'AWARE' Approach: Learner Perspectives & Learning Process-- Yang Ying & M.O'Neill Learning Collocations Through Attention-Drawing Techniques: A Qualitative and Quantitative Analysis-- E.Peters Following Individuals' L2 Collocation Development Over Time-- A.Barfield Commentary of Part IV: Processes in the Development of L2 Collocational Knowledge -- A Challenge for Language Learners, Researchers and Teachers-- B.Henriksen & L.S.Stahr Conclusion: Navigating L2 Collocation Research-- A.Wray References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Researching Collocations in Another Language helps us understand more deeply why collocation knowledge and performance are one of the most fascinating (and at times frustrating) challenges that second language users face. This volume brings together 12 studies from Asia, Europe and North America, divided into four sets: (i) using learner corpora to identify patterns of L2 collocation use, (ii) developing appropriate L2 collocation dictionary and classroom materials, (iii) investigating how learners' L2 collocation knowledge can be assessed, and (iv) exploring how learners develop their L2 collocation knowledge and use. Each set of studies includes three research chapters and a critical commentary written by experts in the respective field. The book also features an introduction to second language collocation research, and a thought-provoking conclusion chapter on wider issues and challenges. The volume thus offers teachers, researchers, and graduate students a highly valuable and critical focus on second language collocation knowledge and performance.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9780230203488 (hbk.)
- 0230203485 (hbk.)