Dark green religion : nature spirituality and the planetary future
- Taylor, Bron Raymond.
- Berkeley : University of California Press, c2010.
- Physical description
- xiv, 338 p. ; 24 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 299-321) and index.
- Preface Readers' Guide 1. Introducing Religion and Dark Green Religion 2. Dark Green Religion 3. Dark Green Religion in North America 4. Radical Environmentalism 5. Surfing Spirituality 6. Globalization with Predators and Moving Pictures 7. Globalization in Arts, Sciences, and Letters 8. Terrapolitan Earth Religion 9 .Conclusion: Dark Green Religion and the Planetary Future Afterword on Terminology Acknowledgments Appendix: Excerpts with Commentary on the Writings of Henry David Thoreau Notes Bibliography Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- In this innovative and deeply felt work, Bron Taylor examines the evolution of 'green religions' in North America and beyond: spiritual practices that hold nature as sacred and have in many cases replaced traditional religions. Tracing a wide range of groups - radical environmental activists, lifestyle-focused bioregionalists, surfers, new-agers involved in 'ecopsychology, ' and groups that hold scientific narratives as sacred - Taylor addresses a central theoretical question: How can environmentally oriented, spiritually motivated individuals and movements be understood as religious when many of them reject religious and supernatural worldviews? The 'dark' of the title further expands this idea by emphasizing the depth of believers' passion and also suggesting a potential shadow side: besides uplifting and inspiring, such religion might mislead, deceive, or in some cases precipitate violence. This book provides a fascinating global tour of the green religious phenomenon, enabling readers to evaluate its worldwide emergence and to assess its role in a critically important religious revolution.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Bron Taylor.
- 9780520237759 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0520237757 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780520261006 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0520261003 (pbk. : alk. paper)