American stories : paintings of everyday life, 1765-1915
- edited by H. Barbara Weinberg and Carrie Rebora Barratt ; essays by Carrie Rebora Barratt ... [et al.].
- New York : Metropolitan Museum of Art ; New Haven : Yale University Press, c2009.
- Physical description
- xviii, 222 p. : ill. (chiefly col.) ; 32 cm.
Art & Architecture Library (Bowes)
|ND1451 .A43 2009 F||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Inventing American stories, 1765-1830 / Carrie Rebora Barratt
- Stories for the public, 1830-1860 / Bruce Robertson
- Stories of war and reconciliation, 1860-1877 / Margaret C. Conrads
- Cosmopolitan and candid stories, 1877-1915 / H. Barbara Weinberg.
- Publisher's Summary
- This beautiful volume explores American paintings of people engaged in the tasks and pleasures of everyday life between the colonial era and World War I. These works reflect key historical and cultural developments, including the growth of industrialization, urbanization, and immigration; changing gender roles; and the shifting location and meaning of the frontier. Focusing on leading artists, from John Singleton Copley to John Sloan, the authors address narrative content in colonial and early national portraits; genre scenes of the Jacksonian period; images from the Civil War era; and, works by American Impressionists and realists in the decades before and after 1900. Like the exhibition it accompanies, the book reflects transformations in artists' aspirations and viewers' expectations as America evolved from isolated British outpost to leading independent participant in international affairs.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780300155082 20160528
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Paintings of everyday life, 1765-1915
- Published in conjunction with an exhibition held at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, Oct. 6, 2009-Jan. 24, 2010, and at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Feb. 28- May 23, 2010.
- 9780300155082 (Yale University Press (hc))
- 0300155085 (Yale University Press (hc))
- 9781588393364 (Metropolitan Museum of Art (hc))
- 1588393364 (Metropolitan Museum of Art (hc))
- 9781588393371 (Metropolitan Museum of Art (pbk.))
- 1588393372 (Metropolitan Museum of Art (pbk.))
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: