The cultural capital of Asian American studies : autonomy and representation in the university
- Mark Chiang.
- New York : New York University Press, c2009.
- Physical description
- viii, 251 p. ; 24 cm.
At the library
Education Library (Cubberley)
|E184 .A75 C494 2009||Unknown|
- Chiang, Mark.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 235-244) and index.
- From cultural politics to cultural capital
- Contradictions in the emergence of ethnic studies
- Disciplinarity and the political identity of Asian American studies
- The political economy of minority literature
- Asian American cultural capital and the crisis of legitimation.
Drawing on rare archival material and contemporary analysis, Tom Steele provides a fascinating account of the prehistory of cultural studies in Britain. He offers a genealogy of the Birmingham Centre for Contemporary Cultural Studies which has its roots in adult education as well as in the work of Raymond Williams, E. P. Thompson, and Richard Hoggart. "The Emergence of Cultural Studies" does the important work of offering fresh insights into the hoary tale of the origins of British cultural studies and the Birmingham Centre. Steele contextualizes the overlapping interests and disciplines which spawned cultural studies as we know it, from the expansion of English studies to a focus on the culture of 'Englishness'. The role of adult education in this cultural studies movement is documented here for the first time.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Asian Americans > Study and teaching (Higher)
- Education, Higher > Political aspects > United States.
- Asian Americans > Ethnic identity.
- Ethnicity > Political aspects > United States.
- Asian Americans > Politics and government.
- Ethnology > Study and teaching (Higher) > United States > Case studies.
- Minorities > Study and teaching (Higher) > United States > Case studies.
- Publication date
- 9780814717004 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0814717004 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780814717011 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0814717012 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: