Official portraits and unofficial counterportraits of 'at risk' students : writing spaces in hard times
- Richard J. Meyer.
- New York : Routledge, 2010.
- Physical description
- xvi, 291 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1576 .M4736 2010||Unknown|
- Meyer, Richard J., 1949-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -281) and indexes.
- Preface Acknowledgements Prologue: Writing Spaces and Hard Times Chapter 1: An Introduction to Searching for Our Truths Before the Work Began Portraits and Counterportraits Mesa Vista Elementary School (MVE): The Official Portrait Finding the School Homelessness Chapter 2: Writers Reveal Themselves Becoming More than an Observer First Pieces of Writing Initiating Data Analysis Teacher as Screamer Strictness, Power, and Microaggressions Strict Schools and the Search for Joy The Counterportrait Up to This Point Chapter 3: Claiming Spaces to Write The Sixth Graders' Space Finding the Space to Write The Fifth Graders' Space The Biography Assignment Begins to Evolve Writing Spaces and the View of the Child Counterportraits So Far Chapter 4: Rewriting Self and Writing About Others Sixth Graders' Non-Biography Biography Work Moving Towards Increased Sharing Fifth Graders Begin Biography Writing Composing Classmates' Biographies Counterportraits (so far), Context, and the Presentation of Self Chapter 5: Expanding Writing Spaces as Communities of Practice Fifth Graders Interview, Transcribe, & Write Some Fifth Graders' Transcriptions (Excerpts) And in the sixth grade! Communities, Boundaries, and Counterportraits Legitimizing a Context for Counterportraiture Chapter 6: Writing Changes Writers: The Impact of Inertia Good News Sixth Graders Consider Expository Biography Featured Fifth Grade Writer Working for Hours Counterportraiture, Working in the Plural Form, & Inertia Chapter 7: Heroes, Dark Secrets, Otter Pops, & Struggles In the Fifth Grade Featured Fifth Grade Authors Chuck, the Humorist Estevan's Hero Sixth Grade Poets' Dark Poetry Sixth Graders' Brief Biographies Things Fall Apart The Classroom as a "Site of Struggle" Struggle and the Use of Time Writing as Carnival Carnivals Breed Struggle Counterportraits, Struggles, Legitimacy, and Possibilities Chapter 8: Writing Places as Hybrid Spaces Sixth Graders Get Serious Poetry in the Biography Genre Hybridized Texts and Contexts Hybridized Spaces and Counterportraits Chapter 9: Products, Presentations, and Power Our First Public Venue Reading Their Work in Small Groups Slam Poetry For Families Counterportraits and Spheres of Influence When Small Spheres Align! Chapter 10: Suffering, Struggles, and the Community Home Visits Bringing the Community to the Sixth Grade Writers' Reflections on the Year Reflections on self-as-writer and Counterportraits Reflections on Writing and Counterportraits What else, what next, and Counterportraits Thank You Notes, Relationships, and Counterportraits Critical Literacy, Hope and Counterportraits Chapter 11: Writing Spaces for Better Times The Purposes of School, the Search for Joy, & the Spirit of the Child Inner Struggles Language & Identity Struggles School as a Site of Struggle Knowledge/Power Struggle Agency: Responding to Struggles Agency and Responsibilities in Composing Counterportraits Agency and Responsibility, the Bigger Picture Agency and Responsibility in Schools Agency and Responsibility in Partnerships Changing the Course of History Epilogue: Microeducational Economies Appendix 1: Counterportraiture as Method/Method as Political Work Appendix 2: Full Text of Some Biographies Appendix 3: Storyboard Appendix 4: Editorial Checklist References Index of Children's Work Subject Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415871242 20160527
- Publisher's Summary
- Chronicles 5th and 6th grade writers in a poor, culturally diverse, rural school in the southwest US coming into their voices, cultivating those voices, and using those voices in a variety of venues, beginning with the classroom community and spreading outward.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415871242 20160527
- English language > Composition and exercises > Study and teaching (Elementary) > United States > Case studies.
- Creative writing (Elementary education) > United States > Case studies.
- Education > United States > Biographical methods > Case studies.
- Children with social disabilities > Education (Elementary) > United States > Case studies.
- Hispanic American children > Education (Elementary) > United States > Case studies.
- Publication date
- 9780415871242 (pbk)
- 0415871247 (pbk.)
- 9780415871235 (hbk)
- 0415871239 (hbk)
- 9780203866795 (ebk)
- 0203866797 (ebk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: