From lesson plans to power struggles, grades 6-12 : classroom management strategies for new teachers
- Zuckerman, June Trop.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2009.
- Physical description
- xxiv, 206 p. ; 24 cm.
LB3013 .Z78 2009
- Unknown LB3013 .Z78 2009
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 179-181) and indexes.
- Foreword by Jean Lythcott, Phd Preface Acknowledgments About the Author Part I. Lesson Execution Problems 1. The Advantage of a Well-Planned, Activity-Based Lesson 2. When Your Lesson Plan Is Inadequate 3. When Your Lesson Is Boring 4. When Your Directions Generate Frustration 5. When the Activities You?ve Planned Don?t Fill the Allotted Time 6. Getting the Class Settled for the Start of the Lesson 7. When You Have a Persistently Noisy Class 8. When Your Normally Attentive Class Is Noisy 9. When the Class Misuses Instructional Materials 10. When Students Don?t Do Their Homework 11. When There?s a Threat to Student Safety 12. When There?s a Mishap 13. When a Tragic Event Affects the School Community Part II. Discipline Problems 14. When a Good Student Violates a Minor Rule 15. When You Have a Class Clown 16. When Students Are Your Buddies 17. When You Have a Student Who Talks a Lot 18. When a Group Misbehaves (Or Is Likely to Misbehave) 19. When a Student Is Outspoken 20. When a Student Does Little or No Schoolwork 21. When a Student Seems Troubled 22. When Students Bully 23. When Students Cheat 24. When Students Fight 25. When You Find Yourself in a Power Struggle 26. When Your Student Has a Tantrum 27. When a Student Persistently Seeks Attention 28. When a Student Provokes the Class?s Animosity 29. When an Administrative Intervention Is Necessary Conclusion: Becoming an Effective Classroom Manager References Glossary and Index of Technical Terms Alphabetical Index of Practical Principles Topical Index of Practical Principles Index of Supplementary Concepts General Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Using stories from novice secondary school teachers in urban, suburban, and rural districts, this book illustrates ways to solve various classroom management problems. In "From Lesson Plans to Power Struggles, Grades 6u12: Classroom Management Strategies for New Teachers", each chapter tackles a common issue and contains relevant stories along with an expert analysis of the strategies and the underlying practical principles that contributed to each teacher's success. The author identifies when the challenges that confronted by teachers are related to lesson execution or discipline. Readers will also find realistic and helpful scenarios that reflect instances when a teacher may not have been as successful as intended.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- June Trop Zuckerman.
- 9781412968775 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 1412968771 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781412968782 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 141296878X (pbk. : alk. paper)