Encyclopedia of human-animal relationships : a global exploration of our connections with animals
- edited by Marc Bekoff.
- Westport, Conn. : Greenwood Press, 2007.
- Physical description
- 4 v. : ill. ; 27 cm.
- Bekoff, Marc.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- v. 1. A-Con
- v. 2. Con-Eth
- v. 3. Eth-Liv
- v. 4. Liv-Z.
- Publisher's Summary
- Humans and animals live together on earth, but as we increasingly reshape ecosystems to accommodate larger populations, technology, and increased consumption, animals are greatly affected. The history of civilization shows that humans have used animals for food, clothing, transportation, making a living, and even companionship, as well as subjects for the arts, literature, and within religious beliefs. Renowned animal behaviorist Marc Bekoff and 300 experts from around the globe provide more than 350 essays that discuss such topics as animals and ecology; animals and global warming; animals as food; animals as pets; animals and diseases; animals in research and in education; animals providing assistance; and the influence of animals in art, religion and philosophy, literature, music, dance, and entertainment. Students and all those wanting a better understanding of the reciprocal connections and interdependence of organisms on the planet will benefit from this fascinating and instructive reference work. Bekoff and contributors ranging from scientists and researchers in other disciplines to teachers, writers, and artists along with those who work with animals in service, rescue, and training have provided engaging and thought-provoking entries ranging in length from 500 to more than 5,000 words. Each entry in the encyclopedia ends with recommended further resources, which may include books, articles, Web sites, and videos. Just some of the hundreds of topics covered include Animal welfare Animals--including dogs and cats--as food Archaeology and anthropology and animals Art and animals Biomimicry--imitating animals--in engineering and architectural designs Birdsong and human speechChildren and animals China and changing attitudes toward animals Colonial America and animals Communication among animals and humans Companion animals and the importance of pets Conservation medicine, linking human and animal health to the environment Disaster assistance and animals Diseases (avian flu, hantavirus, AIDS, and others) in animals and humans Domestication of animals Ecotourism Education and animals Elephant and human conflict Environmental change and animals Factory farming Hunting of and by animals India and animals Insects and humans Language research in Great Apes Law and animals Literature and animals Movies and performing arts and animals Native Americans and animals Rehabilitation of animals Religion--Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, and others--and animals Research using animals Sports and animals Urban wildlife Veterinary science Witchcraft and animals Wolves and humans Zoos In addition, there are entries on dogs, cats, rabbits, mice and rats, dolphins, foxes, bees, fish, bats, elephants, penguins, bears, cows, pigs, horses, hyenas, prairie dogs, pikas, monkeys, whales, reptiles, snakes, ravens, worms, and more. Among the many distinguished contributors to the volumes are Stephen Alter Arnold Arluke Juliet Clutton-Brock Hank Davis Mark Derr Jim and Jamie Dutcher Richard Foltz Greta Gaard Jane Goodall James L. Gould Donna J. Haraway Donna Hart Linda Hogan Linda Lear Andrew Linzey Ralph H. Lutts Patrick McDonnell Gail F. Melson Sy Montgomery Cynthia Moss Jim Motavalli Anna Peterson Brenda Peterson Dale Peterson Mim Eichler Rivas Terry Root David Rothenberg James A. Serpell Andrew T. Smith Douglas W. Smith Richard Sosis Robert W. Sussman Mary Thurston AdrianTreves Paul Waldau The volumes are illustrated with photographs, drawings, charts, and tables. An extensive bibliography, comprehensive index, and classified lists of entries provide extensive access to the contents of the encyclopedia.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780313334917 20160527
- Supplemental links
- Table of contents only
- Publication date
- 9780313334870 (set : alk. paper)
- 0313334870 (set : alk. paper)
- 9780313334887 (vol 1 : alk. paper)
- 0313334889 (vol 1 : alk. paper)
- 9780313334894 (vol 2 : alk. paper)
- 0313334897 (vol 2 : alk. paper)
- 9780313334900 (vol 3 : alk. paper)
- 0313334900 (vol 3 : alk. paper)
- 9780313334917 (vol 4 : alk. paper)
- 0313334919 (vol 4 : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: