Encyclopedia of human-animal relationships : a global exploration of our connections with animals
- edited by Marc Bekoff.
- Westport, Conn. : Greenwood Press, 2007.
- Physical description
- 4 v. : ill. ; 27 cm.
- Bekoff, Marc.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- v. 1. A-Con
- v. 2. Con-Eth
- v. 3. Eth-Liv
- v. 4. Liv-Z.
- Publisher's Summary
- Renowned animal behaviorist Marc Bekoff and 300 experts from around the globe provide more than 450 essays discussing such topics as animals and ecology; animals as food; animals in research and in education; animals providing assistance; and the influence of animals in art, religion and philosophy, literature, music, dance, and entertainment. Entries range in length from 500 to more than 5,000 words, and each includes recommended resources. The topics include: Animal welfare; Art and animals; Biomimicry (imitating animals) in engineering and architectural designs; Birdsong and human speech; Communication among animals and humans; Companion animals and the importance of pets; Disaster assistance and animals; Diseases (avian flu, hantavirus, AIDS, and others); Domestication of animals; Elephant and human conflict; Factory farming; Global warming, environmental change, and animals; Hunting of and by animals; Language research in Great Apes; Native Americans and animals; Religion and animals; Research using animals; Urban wildlife; and, Zoos. In addition, there are entries on particular animals, including dogs, cats, rabbits, mice and rats, dolphins, foxes, bees, fish, bats, elephants, penguins, bears, cows, pigs, horses, hyenas, prairie dogs, monkeys, whales, reptiles, snakes, ravens, worms, and more.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
- Table of contents only
- Publication date
- 9780313334870 (set : alk. paper)
- 0313334870 (set : alk. paper)
- 9780313334887 (vol 1 : alk. paper)
- 0313334889 (vol 1 : alk. paper)
- 9780313334894 (vol 2 : alk. paper)
- 0313334897 (vol 2 : alk. paper)
- 9780313334900 (vol 3 : alk. paper)
- 0313334900 (vol 3 : alk. paper)
- 9780313334917 (vol 4 : alk. paper)
- 0313334919 (vol 4 : alk. paper)