Reframing 9/11 : film, popular culture and the "war on terror"
- edited by Jeff Birkenstein, Anna Froula and Karen Randell.
- New York : Continuum, c2010.
- Physical description
- xiii, 242 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -238) and index.
- Acknowledgments-- Foreword: Reza Aslan-- Introduction: Jeff Birkenstein, Anna Froula, and Karen Randell-- Section Two: Visions of War and Terror-- Section Three: Prophetic Narratives-- Afterword: John Cawelti-- Notes on Contributors-- Bibliography-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This is a collection of analyses that focuses on popular culture as a profound discursive site of anxiety and discussion about 9/11 and demystifies the day's events. September 11th, 2001 remains a focal point of American consciousness, a site demanding ongoing excavation, a site at which to mark before and after 'everything' changed. In ways both real and intangible the entire sequence of events of that day continues to resonate in an endlessly proliferating aftermath of meanings that have changed and continue to change. Presenting a collection of analyses by an international body of scholars that examines America's recent history, this book focuses on popular culture as a profound discursive site of anxiety and discussion about 9/11 and demystifies the day's events in order to contextualize them into a historically grounded series of narratives that recognizes the complex relations of a globalized world.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Terrorism in motion pictures.
- Psychic trauma in motion pictures.
- September 11 Terrorist Attacks, 2001 > Influence.
- War on Terrorism, 2001-2009 > Influence.
- Popular culture > Political aspects > United States > History > 20th century.
- Motion pictures > Political aspects > United States.
- Terrorism and mass media > United States.
- September 11 Terrorist Attacks, 2001, in mass media.
- War on Terrorism, 2001-2009, in mass media.
- Publication date
- 9781441111326 (hbk.)
- 1441111328 (hbk.)
- 9781441119056 (pbk.)
- 1441119051 (pbk.)