Thanksgiving : the true story
- Penny Colman.
- 1st ed.
- New York : Henry Holt, 2008.
- Physical description
- viii, 149 p. : ill., maps ; 25 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|GT4975 .C55 2008||Unknown|
- Colman, Penny.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 130-138) and index.
- The "first" Thanksgiving : competing claims
- Origins of our Thanksgiving : two very old traditions
- Sarah Josepha Hale's campaign : "day of national Thanksgiving"
- The "pilgrim and Indian" story
- Gatherings : family and friends
- Activities : good deeds, football, and parades
- Food : turkey and lasagna
- Many meanings.
- Describes the history and activities of the American holiday of Thanksgiving Day.
- Examines numerous competing claims for the first Thanksgiving, including the traditional story of the feast shared by the Pilgrims and Native Americans in 1621 in Plymouth, Massachusetts. Paints a fascinating picture of the holiday and its changing meanings throughout American history.
- Supplemental links
- Table of contents only
- Publication date
- "Christy Ottaviano Books."
- 9780805082296 (hc : alk. paper)
- 0805082298 (hc : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: