Differentiated instructional strategies for writing in the content areas
- Carolyn Chapman, Rita King.
- 2nd ed.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2009.
- Physical description
- x, 165 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 26 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1576 .C419 2009||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 159-160) and index.
- About the Authors Introduction Infusing Writing in the Content Areas Writing and the Brain Rationale for Writing in the Content Areas Turn On the Writer Every Teacher Is a Writing Teacher: The Power Is Yours! 2. Creating a Climate for Writing Establishing the Effective Writing Environment Create a Safe and Positive Atmosphere Creating a Physical Environment for Writing Razzmatazz to Thingamajigs Find the Write Spot Assessing the Physical Writing Climate Summary 3. Knowing the Writer Stages of a Writer Diagnosing the Writing Characters Learning Styles and Multiple Intelligences 4. Differentiating the Writing Process and Flexible Groupings Immerse Students in the Writer's Craft Types of Writing The Block Party The Writing Process Step 1: Getting Started: Prewriting Step 2: Sloppy Copy: First Draft Step 3: Hamming It Up: Revision Step 4: Turning It Up: Editing Step 5: Neat Sheet: Final Copy Step 6: Publishing: Sharing and Celebrating Flexible Grouping Summary 5. Instructional Strategies and Activities for the Differentiated Writing Classroom Teaching Writing Strategy Strategically Informational Text Writing and Critical Thinking Writing Strategies for ELL Learners Differentiating Writing With Formats and Genres Planning for Individual Needs Writing Strategies Writing From A to Z 6. Planning, Assessing, and Evaluating Writing Lesson Planning Model for Writing in the Content Areas Effective Assessment Tools References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- 'Filled with easy-to-implement ideas, clearly explained. This book helps teachers differentiate with confidence. I absolutely recommend it to ALL teachers' - Steve Knobl, Principal, Gulf High School, New Port Richey, FL. 'Chapman and King have done it again. The new edition has so many new activities and strategies for teachers to help students become motivated to write and become better writers!' - Linda Prichard, PreK/Fifth-Grade Instructional Specialist, Rutherford County Schools, Murfreesboro, TN. Every classroom is made up of students at different levels of proficiency in writing. This concise guide helps teachers work with each student's unique skills and needs so that the student learns to apply information, demonstrate content mastery, think creatively and critically, and solve real-world problems through writing. This updated edition of a best-selling book offers explicit strategies for differentiating writing instruction to help students learn content and develop as writers. The authors address how to create a climate for writing, use flexible groupings, differentiate instruction, and assess student writing. Offering new strategies and activities for effective writing instruction, this second edition: covers informational text writing and critical thinking skills; includes guidance for working with English language learners; discusses current research about writing and learning; and, offers expanded coverage of assessment methods and tools. "Differentiated Instructional Strategies for Writing in the Content Areas" provides educators with the tools they need to address students' writing and learning needs across different grade levels, developmental stages, and learning styles.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781412972314 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1412972310 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781412972321 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1412972329 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: