Assisted suicide and euthanasia [electronic resource] : a natural law ethics approach
- ebrary, Inc.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -209) and index.
- Introduction-- Justifications for suicide, assisted suicide and euthanasia-- A revised natural law ethics-- The good of human life-- Suicide, assisted suicide and voluntary euthanasia-- Non-voluntary and involuntary euthanasia-- State intervention and the common good-- Conclusion-- Bibliography-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- As medical technology advances and severely injured or ill people can be kept alive and functioning long beyond what was previously medically possible, the debate surrounding the ethics of end-of-life care and quality-of-life issues has grown more urgent.In this lucid and vigorous new book, Craig Paterson discusses assisted suicide and euthanasia from a fully fledged but non-dogmatic secular natural law perspective. He rehabilitates and revitalises the natural law approach to moral reasoning by developing a pluralistic account of just why we are required by practical rationality to respect and not violate key demands generated by the primary goods of persons, especially human life.Important issues that shape the moral quality of an action are explained and analysed: intention/foresight; action/omission; action/consequences; killing/letting die; innocence/non-innocence; and, person/non-person. Paterson defends the central normative proposition that 'it is always a serious moral wrong to intentionally kill an innocent human person, whether self or another, notwithstanding any further appeal to consequences or motive'.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Craig Paterson.
- Live questions in ethics and moral philosophy
- Electronic reproduction. Palo Alto, Calif. : ebrary, 2009. Available via World Wide Web. Access may be limited to ebrary affiliated libraries.
- 9780754657453 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 0754657450 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 9780754657460 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0754657469 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780754692959 (electronic bk.)
- 0754692957 (electronic bk.)
- 6611332758 (electronic bk.)
- 9786611332754 (electronic bk.)