Affirmative action in China and the U.S. : a dialogue on inequality and minority education
- edited by Minglang Zhou and Ann Maxwell Hill.
- 1st ed.
- New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2009.
- Physical description
- xiv, 268 p. : ill., map ; 22 cm.
- International & development education.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC213.53 .C6 A34 2009||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction-- A.Maxwell Hill & M.Zhou PART I: DEBATING CHINA'S POSITIVE POLICIES: HISTORICAL ANTECEDENTS AND CONTEMPORARY PRACTICE Mandarins, Marxists, and Minorities-- W.Connor Tracking the Historical Development of China's Positive Policies or Preferential Policies for Minority Education: Continuities and Discontinuities-- M.Zhou Minority Policies and Equality in College Admission Examinations in China-- T.Wang Preferential Policies for Ethnic Minorities and Equality in Higher Education in China-- X.Teng & X.Ma Yunnan's Preferential Policies in Minority Education Since the 1980s: Retrospect and Prospects-- Y.Dai & C.Xu PART II: BETWEEN STATE EDUCATION AND LOCAL CULTURES Compulsory Education in the Eastern Tibetan Areas: A Field Survey in Kangding and Machu Counties-- Gelek Tibetan Students Perspectives on/ Neidi/ Schools-- G.Postiglione, B.Jiao & N.Tsering School Consolidation in Rural Sichuan: Quality Vs. Equality-- C.Y.Chan & S.Harrell PART III: BETWEEN MARKET COMPETITIVENESS AND CULTURAL/LINGUISTIC IDENTITIES The Trade Culture of a Hui Community and Local Education: An Anthropological Case Study-- M.Xiaoyi Issues of Minority Education in Xinjiang China-- R.Ma Using Yugur in Local Schools: Reflections on China's Policy for Minority Language and Education-- Z.Ba PART IV: GLOBALIZING THE DISCOURSE ON INEQUALITY AND EDUCATION Natives and Nation: Assimilation and Indigenous Peoples in China and the U.S.-- A.Maxwell Hill Affirmative Action, Civil Rights and Racial Preferences in the United States: Some General Observations-- E.Hu-DeHart Learning about Equality: Affirmative Action, College Admissions, and the Law of the United States-- D.Edlin.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This volume is the first to comprehensively examine Chinese's affirmative action policies in the critical area of minority education, the most important conduit to employment and economic success in the PRC after the economic reforms begun in the late 1970s.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
Contributor biographical information
Table of contents only
- Publication date
- International & development education
- Based on papers presented at a conference held at Dickinson College in April 2006.
- 9780230612358 (cloth)
- 0230612350 (cloth)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: