Photography : a critical introduction
- edited by Liz Wells.
- 4th ed.
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2009.
- Physical description
- xix, 395 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 26 cm.
Art & Architecture Library (Bowes)
|TR145 .P48 2009||Unknown|
- Wells, Liz, 1948-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 359-380) and index.
- Introduction 1. Thinking About Photography: Debates, Historically and Now 2. Surveyors and Surveyed: Photography Out and About 3. 'Sweet it is to Scan...': Personal Photographs and Popular Photography 4. The Subject as Object: Photography and the Human Body 5. Spectacles and Illusions: Photography and Commodity Culture 6. On and Beyond the White Walls: Photography as Art 7. Photography in the Age of Electronic Imaging.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415460873 20160527
- Publisher's Summary
- Making photography theory accessible to students for the first time when originally published just over ten years ago, "Photography: A Critical Introduction" was the first introductory textbook to examine key debates in photographic theory and place them in their social and political contexts. Written especially for students in further and higher education and for introductory college courses, it provides a coherent introduction to the nature of photographic seeing. This revised and updated fourth edition includes: key concepts, biographies of major thinkers, seminal references; a full glossary of terms, comprehensive bibliographies and new chapter abstracts; updated resource information, including guides to public archives and useful web sites.Individual chapters cover: key debates in photographic theory and history; documentary photography and photojournalism; personal and popular photography; photography and commodity culture; photography and the human body; photography as art; and, photography in the age of electronic imaging. This lavishly illustrated fourth edition includes over one hundred photographs and images, of huge diversity, in full colour throughout.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415460873 20160527
- Publication date
- Previous ed.: 2004.
- 9780415460873 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0415460875 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780415460279 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 0415460271 (hbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: