Creative strategies to transform school culture
- John F. Eller, Sheila Eller.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin Press, c2009.
- Physical description
- xiv, 154 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB2805 .E45 2009||Unknown|
- Eller, John, 1957-
- Eller, Sheila.
- National Association of Secondary School Principals (U.S.)
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 149) and index.
- Preface Acknowledgments About the Authors 1. Culture and Climate About This Chapter School Climate Versus Culture Rapport, Trust, Climate, Culture, and Their Interrelationship The Importance of Trust Building and Sustaining Organizational Trust Strategies to Build Trust and Impact School Climate Summary 2. Diagnosing the Present Climate and Culture of Your School About This Chapter Informal Diagnostic Strategies Formal or Structured Diagnostic Instruments Planning Templates Summary 3. Building the Foundation for Success About This Chapter Working With the Office Staff Strategy: Planning and Developing an Effective Office Staff Creating a Positive Physical Environment for Staff Strategy: Through These Doors Welcoming Staff Back to School Activity: Getting to Know Your Teachers and Staff Activity: Welcome Back Barbeque Refreshments for Staff Business Cards for Staff Name Plates for Teachers Positive Message First Day Survival Kit Ice Cream Social Event Breakfast for Staff Wrapping Up the Classroom Book Fair Gifts Summary 4. Building an Emotional Base for Your Climate and Culture Improvements About This Chapter Activity: Measuring Their Impact Activity: I Remember When... Activity: Descriptive Footwear Activity: The Boot Award Activity: Jack-O-Lanterns Activity: Block of Support Activity: Artifact Introductions Activity: The Thank You Blitz Activity: Candle Ceremony Activity: Bag of Positive Phrases Activity: Spread the Word Activity: Reward With a Smile Activity: A Novel Staff Activity: Floating or Traveling Trophy Activity: Jelly Bean Questions Activity: Snowball Fight Summary 5. Staff Meeting Starters to Build Culture Activity: Good News Activity: Human Bingo Activity: Who's Connected Activity: My Piece of the Pie Activity: I'm a Card Summary 6. Activities to Couple With Tasks and Decisions About This Chapter Activity: Future Set Activity: Carouseling Strategy: Leafing Out With Goal Attainment Activity: Comparison Diagram Activity: Buy What Is Most Important Activity: It's a Star Activity: Criteria Rating Activity: Progressive Problem Solving Activity: From My Perspective Activity: Ripple Effects Activity: Small Group Ripple Effects Activity: Sticky Note Ripple Effects Activity: Ripple Effects Contest Activity: Carousel Ripple Effects Summary 7. Building a Sense of Team About This Chapter Interdependence, Community, and Their Impact on School Climate and Culture Activity: Toxic Waste Transfer Activity: Figure It Out Activity: Communication Problems Activity: All Tied Up Activity: Passing the Hoop Activity: Building a Poker Hand Activity: Hula Hoop Relays Activity: Circle of Support Activity: Rising Tower Activity: It Takes a Village Summary 8. We're Not Getting Along-- Now What? About This Chapter The Nature of Conflict Activity: Pack Up Your Baggage Activity: Parking Lot Meeting Activity: Transfer the Anger Activity: Ashes to Ashes Activity: Go to Your Corners Activity: Corner on Perspectives Activity: Victory Laps Activity: Half-Full or Half-Empty Activity: Compare our Perspectives Activity: Peeling the Onion Mediating Between Conflicting Parties Productive Influence of Conflict on a Team Conflict and Chaos Summary 9. Celebrating Your Success About This Chapter Strategy: Planning the Celebration at the Start of the Initiative Activity: High Fives Activity: Banana Splits Activity: Gallery Walk Strategy: Trophy Case Displays Strategy: Get Out of Duty Cards Strategy: Success Thermometer Summary 10. Supporting Climate and Cultural Change as a Leader About This Chapter Step 1: Understand Your Strengths, Weaknesses, and Inhibitions Step 2: Build a Seedbed Step 3: Plant the Seeds Step 4: Nurture Them, Watch Them Grow Step 5: Pull the Weeds Step 6: Harvest the Crop Summary References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412961189 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- 'Principals at all levels will find this book valuable. It translates espoused theories of climate and culture into practical ideas' - Boyd Dressler, Associate Adjunct Professor, Montana State University. 'Focused, to the point, and direct - a quick read for a busy principal looking for ideas' - Leslie A. Standerfer, Principal, Estrella Foothills High School, Goodyear, AZ. Set the tone for educational success! School culture is one of the most important factors in student and staff performance. Positive climates foster superior achievement, while negative climates discourage learners, educators, and parents alike. Based on thirty years of combined experience as school principals, staff developers, and educational leaders, John F. and Sheila Eller present a wide spectrum of unique, practical, and proven strategies to improve school climate and culture. Divided into chapters that emphasize the main components of school culture, this guide allows busy school leaders to go directly to the section that best addresses their specific needs. The authors provide a clear definition of culture along with diagnostic tools to help readers determine the state of their school's culture. Chapters feature activities and ideas to: foster personal rapport and collegiality between staff members; develop collaborative work relationships; improve staff meetings; address issues related to office operations; and, deal appropriately with conflict. "Creative Strategies to Transform School Culture" offers fun and inventive ideas for school leaders who are working diligently to create a collaborative teaching and learning environment.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412961189 20160528
- Publication date
- "A joint publication [with] National Association of Secondary School Principals."
- 9781412961172 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1412961173 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781412961189 (paper : alk. paper)
- 1412961181 (paper : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: