The elementary education system in India : exploring institutional structures, processes and dynamics
- editors, Rashmi Sharma, Vimala Ramachandran.
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2009.
- Physical description
- xvii, 346 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
LA1152 .E53 2009
- Unknown LA1152 .E53 2009
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -337) and index.
- List of Tables List of Boxes List of Figures List of Abbreviations Acknowledgements 1. Introduction Vimala Ramachandran and Rashmi Sharma 2. State Education Policy and Institutions Rashmi Sharma and Vimala Ramachandran 3. Public Expenditure in Education in Two Educationally Backward States Jandhyala B. G. Tilak 4. Glimpses from the Villages and Schools Vimala Ramachandran, Rashmi Sharma, Nagendra Nagpal, V Sudhakar and Samatha Valluri 5. The Internal Dynamic Rashmi Sharma 6. Teaching and Learning -- The Practices Hriday Kant Dewan (Hardy) 7. Systemic Issues Framing Equity Vimala Ramachandran 8. Implications for the Future Rashmi Sharma and Vimala Ramachandran Bibliography and References About the Editors Notes on Contributors Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Focuses on the failure of elementary education since Independence, which is usually seen as the result of simplified phrases like 'lack of political will' and 'because of poverty'. This book looks at the system as a whole: infrastructure, quality of teaching, privatisation, nutritional incentives and curriculum.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9780415483285 (hbk.)
- 041548328X (hbk.)