Transformers : creative teachers for the 21st century
- Mary Kim Schreck.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2009.
- Physical description
- xii, 200 p. : ill. ; 27 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1590.5 .S37 2009||Unknown|
- Schreck, Mary Kim.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 189-193) and index.
- Preface Acknowledgments About the Author Prologue #1: An Elementary Teacher Speaks Out About Creativity 1. What Teachers and Students Have to Say About Creativity: An Introduction 41 Creative Ideas Teachers Voice Their Creative Blocks Jump Starting Student Creativity: Making Mind Maps This Is Not the "Crayola Curriculum" Student Blocks to Creativity A Past Student's E-mail on Creativity Prologue #2: Before We Begin ... Get Out Your Notebook! 2. What Is, What Isn't Creativity? An Overview of Preconceptions Worshipping at the Altar of Right Answers Making Mistakes Specific Methods of Creative Behavior Prologue #3: 20 Keys to a More Creative Classroom 3. Memoir of a Creative Career (Abridged) My First Creative Teacher A First-Year Teacher My Home Teaching Days Back to the Traditional Classroom Early Years at Francis Howell School District Teaching Skills as Well as Content My Repeaters on Grammar Patrol Prologue #4: The Creative Teacher's Bill of Rights 4. What's Going On? Side Effects of the Mandated Testing Phenomenon The Whole Child, The Whole Teacher Teaching the Whole Brain The Necessity of Teacher Empowerment Needs of the 21st Century, Glaringly Visible Dropouts and High Achievers Prologue #5: Affirmations: One Way to Rewire You for the Creativity You'll Need for the 21st Century 5. Links Between Creativity and Research-Based Instruction Brain Research: A Gold Mine for Creative Strategies Novelty Meaning and Choice Challenge Without Threat Visualization Emotions and Bodies Prologue #6: Letter From Arthur Costa 6. Transformational Journey: From the Inside Out The Saturday/Sunday Kings and Queens You, the Saturday/Sunday King or Queen Transformational Stages Our Hero's Journey: Moving Toward Ownership Your Questions: The Main Tool of Transformers Creative Thinking Versus Critical Thinking Thinking in Metaphor More Powerful Metaphors Frames, Narratives, Scripts: How We Think Prologue #7: The Administrator's Creativity Checklist 7. The Administrator's Role in Providing a Creative Environment Metaphor and School Transformation, by Linda Henke An Informal Ethnographic Study School Culture School as Factory The Search for New Metaphors Reframing Beliefs at MRH Prologue #8: Leslie Wilson's Thinking Patterns That Help Create New Ideas 8. What Can We Do to Strengthen Our Creative Muscles? For Ourselves?the Gift of Surprise Mindfulness, Awareness, and All That Good Stuff Begin With Fostering Creative Courage Let's Look at Fear for a Moment Respecting the Need to Make Time for Yourself How to Help Your Fellow Teachers Prologue #9: Our Tiny Digital Natives 9. Technology and the Creative Classroom Swimming in a Technological Environment, by John Ross Connecting Technology and Creativity: National Trends Promoting Student Creativity With Technology Becoming a More Creative Teacher With Technology Prologue #10: Rules for Lady Teachers in 1915 10. Transforming Teaching Through Creativity for the 21st Century The Last Time A Look at Possible Future Transformation The Past as of 1970 What Does the Public Think We Should Be Doing? Welcome to Our Brave New Right-Brained World Every Teacher a Creative Teacher References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412971126 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- Discover how thinking and acting creatively can influence both teaching and learning! Built on the core belief that creativity for teachers and students is required for success in the 21st century, this book provides teachers with a step-by-step plan for accessing their own creative resources and cultivating a more creative teaching practice. The author offers a breakdown of the creative process as it applies to both lesson building and delivery, includes detailed guidelines on how to identify creativity that furthers educational goals, and presents research-based, creative teaching strategies designed to enhance learning by engaging, motivating, and inspiring students across grade levels and subject areas. Teachers will gain confidence in their own ability to teach from their strengths and to elicit students' strengths and creativity.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412971126 20160528
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Creative teachers for the twenty-first century
- 9781412971119 (cloth)
- 141297111X (cloth)
- 9781412971126 (paper)
- 1412971128 (paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: