The SAGE international handbook of educational evaluation
- Los Angeles : SAGE, c2009.
- Physical description
- xx, 587 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
LB2822.75 .S23 2009
- Unknown LB2822.75 .S23 2009
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Introduction Acknowledgments PART I. THE EDUCATIONAL EVALUATION CONTEXT 1. Globalization and Policy Research in Education - Fazal Rizvi 2. Globalizing Influences on the Western Evaluation Imaginary - Thomas A. Schwandt 3. Fundamental Evaluation Issues in a Global Society - Nick L. Smith PART II. THE ROLE OF SCIENCE IN EDUCATIONAL EVALUATION 4. Evaluation, Method Choices, and Pathways to Consequences: Trying to Making Sense of How Evaluation Can Contribute to Sensemaking 5. Randomized Experiments and Quasi-Experimental Designs in Educational Research - Peter M. Steiner, Angela Wroblewski & Thomas D. Cook 6. Enhancing Impact Evidence on How Global Education Initiatives Work: Theory, Epistemological Foundations, and Principles for Applying Multiphase, Mixed Method Designs 7. The Evaluation of the Georgia Pre-K Program: An Example of a Scientific Evaluation of an Early Education Program - Gary T. Henry & Dana K. Rickman 8. Globalization-Blessing and Bane in Empirical Evaluation: Lessons in Three Acts - Jacob Marszalek & Debra D. Bragg 9. Science-Based Educational Evaluation and Student Learning in a Global Society: A Critical Appraisal - Lois-ellin Datta PART III. EDUCATIONAL EVALUATION, CAPACITY BUILDING, AND MONITORING 10. Evaluation, Accountability and Performance Measurement in National Education Systems: Trends, Methods, and Issues - Katherine E. Ryan 11. A Precarious Balance: Educational Evaluation Capacity Building in a Globalized Society 12. International Assessments and Indicators: How Will Assessments and Performance Indicators Improve Educational Policies and Practices in a Globalized Society? 13. Exemplary Case: Implementing Large-Scale Assessment of Education in Mexico 14. Inquiry-Minded District Leaders: Evaluation as Inquiry, Inquiry as Practice 15. Where Global Meets Local: Contexts, Constraints, and Consensus in School Evaluation in Ireland - Gerry McNamara & Joe O?Hara 16. Accountability and Capacity Building: Can They Live Together? PART IV. EDUCATIONAL EVALUATION AS LEARNING AND DISCOVERY 17. Learning-Oriented Educational Evaluation in Contemporary Society 18. Meaningfully Engaging With Difference Through Mixed Methods Educational Evaluation 19. Case Study Methods in Educational Evaluation - Linda Mabry 20. Developing a Community of Practice: Learning and Transformation Through Evaluation 21. Learning-in-(Inter)action: A Dialogical Turn to Evaluation and Learning 22. Educational Evaluation as Mediated Mutual Learning - John Elliott PART V. EDUCATIONAL EVALUATION IN A POLITICAL WORLD 23. Own Goals: Democracy, Evaluation, and Rights in Millenium Projects 24. Reclaiming Knowledge at the Margins: Culturally Responsive Evaluation in the Current Evaluation Moment 25. Evaluation for and by Navajos: A Narrative Case of the Irrelevance of Globalization - Stafford Hood 26. Dialogue, Deliberation and Democracy in Educational Evaluation: Theoretical Arguments and a Case Narrative 27. Pursuing the Wrong Indicators? The Development and Impact of Test-Based Accountability PART VI. EDUCATIONAL EVALUATION: OPPORTUNITIES AND NEW DILEMMAS 28. Evaluation and Educational Policymaking 29. Technology and Educational Evaluation - Michael Scriven 30. Serving the Public Interest Through Educational Evaluation: Salvaging Democracy by Rejecting Neoliberalism 31. Dilemmas for Educational Evaluation in a Globalized Society - J. Bradley Cousins & Katherine Ryan Author Index Subject Index About the Editors About the Contributors.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- "The Handbook of Educational Evaluation" brings together the experience of top evaluation leaders around the world to present and discuss the core methods and applications of educational evaluation, particularly as they relate to subsequent policy- and decision-making in all educational contexts. The volume is shaped by core guiding questions that seek to understand issues such as change in educational evaluation, evidence-based research, the relationship between evaluation and audit cultures, stakeholders in educational evaluation, accountability and assessment, and, ultimately, what the obligations and responsibilities of educational evaluators are in any given setting or context. A key theme that runs throughout this comprehensive volume includes how globalization is shaping international policies for educational evaluation, assessment, and testing as well as curriculum and instruction. The volume is invaluable for graduate students, professionals, and researchers in evaluation, particularly educational or policy evaluation.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- editors, Katherine E. Ryan, J. Bradley Cousins.
- Title Variation
- International handbook of educational evaluation
- Errata slip inserted.
- 1412940680 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781412940689 (cloth : alk. paper)