The Cambridge companion to the literature of World War II
- edited by Marina MacKay.
- Cambridge ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2009.
- Physical description
- xix, 234 p. ; 24 cm.
- Cambridge companions to literature.
- MacKay, Marina, 1975-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 220-226) and index.
- War poetry in Britain / Adam Piette
- British fiction of the war / Rod Mengham
- War poetry in the USA / Margot Norris
- The American war novel / James Dawes
- War journalism in English / Leo Mellor
- The French war / Debarati Sanyal
- The German war / Dagmar Barnouw
- The Soviet war / Katharine Hodgson
- The Italian war / Robert S.C. Gordon
- The Japanese war / Reiko Tachibana
- War writing in Australia, Canada, and New Zealand / Donna Coates
- Women writers and the war / Gill Plain
- Life writing and the Holocaust / Phyllis Lassner
- Theories of trauma / Lyndsey Stonebridge
- The war in contemporary fiction / Petra Rau.
- Publisher's Summary
- The literature of World War II has emerged as an accomplished, moving, and challenging body of work, produced by writers as different as Norman Mailer and Virginia Woolf, Primo Levi and Ernest Hemingway, Jean-Paul Sartre and W. H. Auden. This Companion provides a comprehensive overview of the international literatures of the war: both those works that recorded or reflected experiences of the war as it happened, and those that tried to make sense of it afterwards. It surveys the writing produced in the major combatant nations (Britain and the Commonwealth, the USA, Japan, Germany, France, Italy, and the USSR), and explores its common themes. With its chronology and guide to further reading, it will be an invaluable source of information and inspiration for students and scholars of modern literature and war studies.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780521715416 20160528
- Supplemental links
Table of contents only
Contributor biographical information
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Literature of World War II
- Literature of World War Two
- Literature of World War 2
- Cambridge companions to authors
- 9780521887557 (hbk.)
- 0521887550 (hbk.)
- 9780521715416 (pbk.)
- 0521715415 (pbk.)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: