Baltic musics/Baltic musicologies : the landscape since 1991
- edited by Kevin C. Karnes and Joachim Braun.
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2009.
- Physical description
- viii, 140 p. : ill., music ; 25 cm.
|ML3797 .B18 2009||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. Introduction Kevin C. Karnes and Joachim Braun 2. Reconsidering Musicology in the Baltic States of Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia: 1990-2006 Joachim Braun 3. Late- and Post-Soviet Music Scholarship and the Tenacious Ecumenicity of Christian Musics in Estonia Jeffers Engelhardt 4. Lithuanian Musicology in Historical Context: 1945 to the Present Vita Gruodyte 5. Soviet Musicology and the 'Nationalities Question': The Case of Latvia Kevin C. Karnes 6. Modernist Trends in Estonian Musicology in the 1970s-1980s and the Study of Folk Melodies Urve Lippus 7. Muzikologia/Muzikas zinatne: A Critical History of Latvian Musicology Martin Boiko 8. Exiled Modernism: Lithuanian Music through the Second World War Grazina Daunoraviciene.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415472326 20160527
- Publisher's Summary
- This volume is the first to bring together music scholars working on Baltic topics from throughout Europe, North America, and the Middle East for the purpose of exploring the impact of Nazi and Soviet occupation (1940-91) and the restoration of republican independence upon the production of musicological knowledge in and about the Baltic States of Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia.Its collected essays sketch, for the first time, post-Soviet histories of the sociological dimensions of music study in the region, and examine methodological and ethical problems raised by music scholarship. They shed new light on such topics as the advent of Lithuanian musical modernism, the ecumenicity of Christian musics in Estonia, and the effects of Soviet nationalities policy upon the Latvian musicological discourse. Together, they confront those aspects of Baltic music study that still bear the marks of the Nazi and Soviet experience, and they suggest ways in which the turbulent cultural and political histories of the region might be negotiated by scholars presently active in the field. This book was published as a special issue of the "Journal of Baltic Studies".
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415472326 20160527
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Baltic musicologies
- Published as a special issue of the Journal of Baltic Studies.
- Related Work
- Journal of Baltic studies.
- 9780415472326 (hbk.)
- 0415472326 (hbk.)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: