Assessing preschool literacy development : informal and formal measures to guide instruction
LB1140.5 .L3 E69 2009
- Unknown LB1140.5 .L3 E69 2009
- Morrow, Lesley Mandel.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 141-149) and index.
- Multiple assessments for preschoolers
- Assessment-guided instruction
- Assessing the preschool literacy environment
- Assessing and enhancing language development
- Assessing phonological awareness and early phonics
- Assessing concepts about print, books, and writing
- Assessing comprehension
- Planning, managing, and sharing data
- Including families.
- Publisher's Summary
- Teachers must view the incorrect answer as a starting point to gain insight into the child's instructional needs - from Chapter 1. Assessment is an essential component of all high-quality preschool programs. Today, with No Child Left Behind and Early Reading First grants focusing on preschool literacy programs, there is a much greater emphasis on young children's literacy achievement than ever before. In this all-new addition to the Preschool Literacy Collection, preschool teachers and administrators will find explicit guidance in creating and using assessment tools to account for student learning and adapt instruction to children's individual needs. To help you ensure that assessment reflects your highest educational goals for young children, authors Billie J. Enz and Lesley Mandel Morrow present information about multiple formal and informal tools for testing and assessing preschool children. They also demonstrate how to administer these tools and interpret the results appropriately with preschool children. With this resource, you will be able to assess: the preschool literacy environment; children's oral language development; children's phonological awareness and early use of phonics; children's concepts about print, books, and writing; and, children's comprehension. In addition, this book shows you how to effectively plan, manage, and share data with administrators, parents, and the community. Plus, professional development guidelines accompany each chapter, and supplemental resources on working with diverse families are also provided.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Billie J. Enz, Lesley Mandel Morrow.
- Preschool literacy collection
- 9780872076907 (pbk.)
- 0872076903 (pbk.)