Defending religious diversity in public schools : a practical guide for building our democracy and deepening our education
- Nathan R. Kollar.
- Santa Barbara, Calif. : Praeger, c2009.
- Physical description
- xviii, 214 p. ; 25 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC111 .K65 2009||Unknown|
- Kollar, Nathan R.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -209) and index.
- The stakeholders : recognizing and respecting sacred ground
- The law : marking the sacred on common ground
- The individual : those who live on sacred ground
- The community : live and grow together, or survive apart?
- The conflict : my sacred ground, not yours
- The leaders : responsibility for common life
- Teaching about religion : learning about sacred grounds
- Religious bullies : my way or no way
- Conclusion: The stakeholders' challenge--putting humpty dumpty together again.
- Publisher's Summary
- "Defending Religious Diversity in Public Schools: A Practical Guide for Building Our Democracy and Deepening Education" makes a powerful case for exposing students to the multiplicity of faiths practiced in the United States and around the world-then offers a range of practical solutions for promoting religious understanding and tolerance in the school environment. Nathan Kollar's timely volume centers on the common issues associated with respecting religion in people's lives, including religious identities, the religious rights of students, bullying and other acts of intolerance, and legal perspectives on what should and should not happen in the classroom. It then focuses on the skills teachers, counselors, and administrators need to master to address those issues, including forming an advocacy coalition, listening, cultural analysis, conflict resolution, institutional development, choosing a leader, and keeping up to date with all the latest research developments from both the legal and educational communities. .
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780313359989 20160527
- Publication date
- 9780313359972 (hard copy : alk. paper)
- 0313359970 (hard copy : alk. paper)
- 9780313359989 (ebook)
- 0313359989 (ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: