I can write like that! : a guide to mentor texts and craft studies for writers' workshop, K-6
- Susan Ehmann, Kellyann Gayer.
- Newark, DE : International Reading Association, c2009.
- Physical description
- xi, 164 p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
LB1576 .E345 2009
- Unknown LB1576 .E345 2009
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 151) and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- You know the importance of using mentor texts when teaching author's crafts to your young writers. But how do you - a busy teacher with only so many hours in a day - find great mentor texts? With so many children's books available and so little time to peruse them all, matching books to writers' workshop minilessons remains a challenge. Here is the resource to make your search for just the right books a little easier. Authors Susan Ehmann and Kellyann Gayer bring you a resource built out of their love of great children's books, their vast experience in the classroom, and their passion for teaching young writers. The heart of this book is an extensive annotated bibliography that details examples of 27 author's crafts found in 150 high-quality children's books. But there's so much more! This book can serve as your go-to writers' workshop resource by providing you with. This is a quick reference to turn to when you need to find the right mentor text to teach a specific author's craft, such as alliteration, hyperbole, onomatopoeia, personification, rhyme, voice, and many more. This title features age-appropriate craft studies that fit into your existing curriculum. It includes tools to help you match the books you already have in your classroom or school library with the crafts they demonstrate. In these pages you'll discover engaging fiction and nonfiction children's books and ideas for using them to their maximum potential as teaching tools. And you will find new ways to give your students a priceless gift - exemplary models for their own writing. Realize the reward of having your students listen to a well-written story then identify the author's craft and say, 'I can write like that' - "An IRA Book Club" selection, July 2009.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9780872077089 (pbk.)
- 087207708X (pbk.)