Causation in educational research
- Keith Morrison.
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2009.
- Physical description
- xiv, 231 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1028 .M665 2009||Unknown|
- Morrison, Keith (Keith R. B.)
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -227) and index.
- 1. The World Of Cause And Effect 2. Tools For Understanding Causation 3. Probabilistic Causation 4. Approaching Cause And Effect 5. Determining The Effects Of Causes 6. Determining Causes From Effects 7. Causation: Effective, Inconsequential Or A Lost Cause?
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415496483 20160527
- Publisher's Summary
- Calls to understand 'what works' in education are being made the world over. We need to know not only 'what works' but under what conditions, how and why. Causation is central to this. Researchers, educationists, readers and users of research need to know the effects of causes and the causes of effects. This strongly practical book helps researchers and readers of research understand, plan and investigate causation in education. It guides readers through statistical matters, explaining them clearly and simply in words as well as numbers, and shows them how to investigate qualitative causal research in education. After introducing deterministic and probabilistic causation, the book shows how these can be researched in different ways. It explains: how to determine causes from effects and how to link theory and practice in causal research; how to plan and conduct causal research in education; and, how to analyze, present and interpret causal data, and the limits of causal understanding. Containing worked examples from both qualitative and quantitative research, "Causation in Educational Research" provides a manual for practice, underpinned by a rigorous analysis of key issues from philosophy, sociology and psychology. It will appeal to new and established researchers, readers of educational research, social science students and academics.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415496483 20160527
- Publication date
- 9780415496490 (pbk.)
- 0415496497 (pbk.)
- 9780415496483 (hbk.)
- 0415496489 (hbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: