Cultural proficiency : a manual for school leaders
- Randall B. Lindsey, Kikanza Nuri Robins, Raymond D. Terrell ; foreword by Darline P. Robles.
- 3rd ed.
- Thousand Oaks, CA : Corwin, c2009.
- Physical description
- xx, 318 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC1099.3 .L555 2009||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 297-302) and index.
- Foreword to the Third Edition by Darline P. Robles Foreword to the Second Edition by Carl A. Cohn Foreword to the First Edition by Asa G. Hilliard, III Preface Acknowledgments About the Authors Part I. Understanding Cultural Proficiency 1. Cultural Proficiency Cultural Proficiency -- An Inside-Out Approach to Difference The Four Tools A Historical Context What's In It For Us? Learning and Teaching Effectively Living in a Global Community Participating in the Community Providing Leadership The Case Rolling Meadows Unified School District Coolidge Unified School District Resources for Developing Culturally Proficient Leaders Read the Text First The Matrix Going Deeper Reflection 2. A Cultural and Historical Context for Our Unfolding Democracy An Inside-Out Approach What it Takes Culture is ... What Happened to Race? The Legacy of Segregation and Exclusion A History of Caste in the U.S. Labels for Historically Oppressed People Segregation to Cultural Proficiency Culture and History Provide Perspective Going Deeper 3. Leadership for Today's Schools Our Journey and Culturally Proficient Leaders Transformational Leadership Formal and Nonformal Leaders Collaborative Leadership Culturally Proficient Leadership So, Where Do You Start? Going Deeper Reflection 4. Framing Your Work With the Cultural Proficiency Tools Inside-Out Change Cultural Proficiency Conceptual Framework The Four Tools of Cultural Proficiency Going Deeper Reflection Part II. Using the Tools of Cultural Proficiency 5. The First Tool: Overcoming Barriers Barriers to Cultural Proficiency This Chapter is for Everyone Caveat: Systemic Oppression Caveat: Privilege and Entitlement Caveat: Unawareness of the Need to Adapt Changing Educational Practices Culturally Proficient Educators Overcoming Resistance Very Good News Going Deeper Reflection 6. The Second Tool: The Guiding Principles of Cultural Proficiency The Guiding Principles of Cultural Proficiency Cultural Proficiency as Expression of Values Principle: Culture is Ever Present Principle: People are Served in Varying Degrees by the Dominant Culture Principle: People Have Group Identities and Personal Identities Principle: Diversity Within Cultures Is Important Principle: Each Group Has Unique Cultural Needs that Must be Respected Principle: The Family, as Defined by each Culture, is the Primary System of Support in the Education of Children Principle: People Who are not Part of the Dominant Culture Have to be at Least Bicultural Principle: Inherent in Cross-cultural Interactions are Social and Communication Dynamics that must be Acknwledged, Adjusted to, and Accepted Principle: The School System must Incorporate Cultural Knowledge into Practice and Policy Making Make it Count Going Deeper Reflection 7. The Third Tool: The Cultural Proficiency Continuum The Continuum Going Deeper Reflection 8. The Fourth Tool: The Essential Elements The Essential Elements of Cultural Proficiency Analyzing School Leadership Going Deeper Reflection Part III. Making the Commitment to Cultural Proficiency 9. The Case: One Last Look Matrix: How to Use Cultural Proficiency Books Resources Introduction to Resource Activities Resource A. Understanding Diversity Activity 1. A Few Definitions Activity 2. Telling Your Story Activity 3. Diversity in Your Life Activity 4. Stand Up Activity 5. Line Up Activity 6. Demographics Activity 7. Starpower Resource B. Getting to Know Myself Activity 1. Journaling Activity 2. Diversity Lifeline Activity 3. Name Five Things Activity 4. Who are You? Activity 5. Who am I? Activity 6. Cultural Portrait Activity 7. Personal Stereotypes I Activity 8. Personal Stereotypes II Activity 9. Process of Personal Change Activity 10. Seven Dynamics of Change Activity 11. Paradigms Activity 12. Strength Bombardment Resource C. Getting to Know Your Colleagues and Your Organization Activity 1. Introductory Grid Activity 2. Cultural Perceptions Activity 3. What's Your Name Activity 4. Totems or Crests Activity 5. Family Portrait Activity 6. Group Stereotypes Activity 7. Circle of History Activity 8. Storytelling Activity 9. Voices that Resonate Activity 10. Needs Assessment Resource D. Understanding Power and Privilege Activity 1. Barriers to Cultural Proficiency Activity 2. Culturally Incompetent Organizations Activity 3. Privilege and Entitlement Survey Activity 4. Listening and Hearing Activity 5. Seven Minute Day Resource E. Going Deeper with the Principles Activity 1. Guiding Principles Discussion Starters Activity 2. Family Values Activity 3. My Work Values Activity 4. Managing Conflict with Our Core Values Activity 5. Examining Your Organizational Values Resource F. Going Deeper with The Continuum Activity 1. The Cultural Proficiency Continuum Activity 2. Exploring Behaviors Along the Continuum Resource G. Going Deeper with the Essential Elements Activity 1. Understanding the Essential Elements Activity 2. Essential Elements of Culturally Proficient Leaders Activity 3. Cultural Competence Self Assessment References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412963633 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- In the third edition of the bestseller "Cultural Proficiency: A Manual for School Leaders", Randall B. Lindsey, Kikanza Nuri Robins, and Raymond D. Terrell expand their groundbreaking model for transforming the challenges of diversity into positive cross-cultural interactions throughout the school system and beyond. Cultural proficiency is a mindset and a worldview assumed by a person or an organization for effectively describing, responding to, and planning for issues that arise in diverse environments. This updated edition incorporates the authors' latest experiences working with schools, educational agencies, and organizations across the U.S. and Canada. Other additions include: a conceptual framework demonstrating the interrelationship of the tools of cultural proficiency; updated and expanded content and vignettes; several new activities conveniently placed in the Resources section at the back of the book; and, a matrix describing how to use the authors' other books about cultural proficiency.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412963633 20160528
- Publication date
- 9781412963626 (cloth)
- 1412963621 (cloth)
- 9781412963633 (paper)
- 141296363X (paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: