Murder without hatred : Estonians and the Holocaust
- Anton Weiss-Wendt.
- 1st ed.
- Syracuse, N.Y. : Syracuse University Press, 2009.
- Physical description
- xxiii, 476 p. : ill., maps ; 24 cm.
- Religion, theology, and the Holocaust.
- Weiss-Wendt, Anton, 1973-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Estonians and their state
- The breakdown, 1939-1941-- The collective experience of Nazi occupation
- The coming of terror
- "Estland ist Judenrein!"
- "Jewish" files : Tallinn
- The end complete : Jews in provincial cities
- Jewish transports from Czechoslovakia and Germany, Fall 1942
- Jewish slave labor for the Baltöl empire
- Jewish forced labor camps, 1943-1944
- Conclusions: Explaining collaboration.
- Publisher's Summary
- In this detailed study of Estonians' role in the Holocaust, Anton Weiss-Wendt casts light on a largely unexplored subject. A country known for its benevolent treatment of ethnic minorities, Estonia had a small number of indigenous Jews, and anti-Semitism existed on a relatively limited scale. However, many ethnic Estonians, acting as auxiliary security forces under the guidance of the German security police, participated in the murder of thousands of Estonian, Czech, and German Jews. Weiss-Wendt investigates these acts of genocide by posing the simple question: what prompted the Estonians to cooperate with the Nazis? He argues that the actions were voluntary but that the reasons varied. Narrating the history of Estonia's involvement, Weiss-Wendt presents lucid explanations regarding the relationships between nation-building, mass violence, and the brutal effects of authoritarian oppression on occupied states. The first book-length exploration of this aspect of the Holocaust, "Murder Without Hatred: Estonians and the Holocaust" enriches our knowledge of ethnic violence and reinvigorates the current debates over the roots and operation of the Holocaust.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780815632283 20160528
- Publication date
- Religion, theology, and the Holocaust
- 9780815632283 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 0815632282 (hardcover : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: