Earth in our care : ecology, economy, and sustainability
- Chris Maser.
- New Brunswick, N.J. : Rutgers University Press, c2009.
- Physical description
- xvii, 276 p. ; 25 cm.
- Maser, Chris.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- 'What about the twenty-first century? Will we finally accept our responsibilities as guardians of planet Earth, the biological living trust, for the beneficiaries, the children of today, tomorrow, and beyond? Or, will it too be a century of lethal, economic struggle among the polarized positions of the supremely dysfunctional among us? Are they - once again - to be allowed to determine the legacy we, as a society, as a nation, bequeath those who follow us? The choice is ours, the adults of the world. How shall we choose?' So writes Chris Maser in this compelling study of three interactive spheres of the ecosystem: atmosphere (air), litho-hydrosphere (rock that comprises the restless continents and the water that surrounds them), and biosphere (all life sandwiched in between). Rich in detail and insightful analogies, "Earth in Our Care" addresses key issues including land-use policies, ecological restoration, forest management, local living, and sustainability thinking. Exploring our interconnectedness with the Earth, Maser examines today's problems and, more importantly, provides solutions for the future.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780813545592 20160528
- Publication date
- 9780813545592 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 0813545595 (hbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: