Language disabilities in cultural and linguistic diversity
- Deirdre Martin.
- Bristol, UK ; Buffalo : Multilingual Matters, 2009.
- Physical description
- xxiii, 304 p. : ill. ; 22 cm.
- Bilingual education and bilingualism.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC4704.85 .M36 2009||Unknown|
- Martin, Deirdre.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 255-296) and index.
- Introduction Chapter 1 A socio-cultural activity approach: key concepts Chapter 2 Provision for communication disabilities in CLD Chapter 3 Disability and disabling cultural and linguistic diversity Chapter 4 Bilingual speech and language development and difficulties Chapter 5 Literacy, literacies and difficulties with printed language Chapter 6 Deafness in culturally and linguistically diverse communities Chapter 7 Assessment approaches: comparison, product and process Chapter 8 Learning, teaching, and intervention Chapter 9 Collaboration as inter-professional learning Chapter10 Parents, families, and children working with professionals.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781847691590 20160527
- Publisher's Summary
- "Language Disabilities in Cultural and Linguistic Diversity" takes a critical perspective on traditional bio-cognitive-social approaches to language disabilities - specific language impairment, communication difficulties, dyslexia and deafness. A socio-cultural approach orientates a reinterpretation of research, educational practices and policies in assessment, teaching and intervention. A Vygotskian framework affords repositioning of assessment, learning and development for language disabilities as they are influenced and shaped by experiences of multilingualism, culture, ethnicity and race. The author, rather than present definitive answers, aims to offer new analyses and extend current understanding of linguistic phenomena fraught by dilemmas of disentangling diversity and disability. The volume serves as a source of reflection and inquiry for students, professionals and policy makers in education and health who are interested in disability and language disabilities in multilingual and multicultural contexts.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781847691590 20160527
- Learning disabled children > United States > Language.
- Language disorders in children > United States.
- Communicative disorders in children > United States.
- English language > Study and teaching > United States > Foreign speakers.
- Linguistic minorities > Education > United States.
- Multiculturalism > United States.
- Publication date
- Bilingual education & bilingualism
- 1847691609 (cloth)
- 9781847691606 (cloth)
- 1847691595 (pbk.)
- 9781847691590 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: