"Race" and early childhood education : an international approach to identity, politics, and pedagogy
- 1st ed.
- New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2009.
- Physical description
- xiv, 196 p. ; 22 cm.
- Critical cultural studies of childhood.
LC212.5 .R33 2009
- Unknown LC212.5 .R33 2009
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Thinking Differently: The Call and the Desire-- G.MacNaughton & K.Davis PART I: EXPLORING THE POLITICS OF CHILDREN'S RACIALIZED IDENTITIES Discourses of 'Race' in Early Childhood: From Cognition to Power-- G.MacNaughton & K.Davis Exploring 'Race-identities' with Young Children: Making Politics Visible-- G.MacNaughton, K.Davis, & K.Smith Intersecting Identities: Fantasy, Popular Culture and Feminised Race-Gender-- G.MacNaughton & K.Davis Masculinities, Mateship, and Young Boys-- K.Davis & G.MacNaughton The Dynamics of Whiteness: Children Locating Within/Without-- K.Davis & G.MacNaughton PART II: EXPLORING THE POLITICS OF ADULTS' RACIALIZED IDENTITIES (Un)masking Cultural Identities: a Challenge for White Early Childhood Educators-- K.Davis On Race and Resistance: Transforming Racialised Identities: A Personal Journey-- M.Cruz Adults Constructing the Young Child, Race, and Racism-- S.Atkinson Languages Matter: My Subjective Postcolonial Struggle-- P.Srinivasan Working within, beyond and through the Divides: Hopes and Possibilities for De-'racing' Early Childhood-- S.Atkinson, M.Cruz, K.Davis, P.Srivinasan & G.MacNaughton.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This book explores both the prominence of 'race' in young children's perspectives on being and becoming in their earliest years and the othering and silencing of 'race' of and by early childhood educators.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
Contributor biographical information
Table of contents only
- Publication date
- edited by Glenda Mac Naughton and Karina Davis.
- Critical cultural studies of childhood
- 9780230613249 (hbk.)
- 0230613241 (hbk.)