The teacher's attention : why our kids must and can get smaller schools and classes
- Garrett Delavan.
- Philadelphia : Temple University Press, 2009.
- Physical description
- xiv, 226 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB3012.5 .D45 2009||Unknown|
- Delavan, Garrett, 1973-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -218) and index.
- Introduction-- 1 First And Foremost-- 2 Getting The Crisis Right-- 3 The Racial Relationship Gap-- 4 Defining The Harm: Adult Attention Deficit-- 5 The Four-Piece Relationship Load Solution-- 6 The Core Of The Relationship Load Effect-- 7 The Counterarguments-- 8 The Costs And Savings-- 9 Implementation At The School And District Level-- 10 Implementation At The State And Federal Level-- 11 Help From The Private Sector-- 12 Implementation At Kid Level-- Conclusion-- Appendices-- References-- Notes.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- "The Teacher's Attention" is a fresh take on relationships in schools. Looking beyond our obsession with raising test-scores, this book recognizes that education is a key partner in raising children. Garrett Delavan contends that allowing students, educators and parents to navigate a smaller number of relationships - a concept he calls 'relationship load' - provides many benefits, including a better chance at achieving equal access to a good education for all children. Delavan shows how class size, school size, and longer-term student-teacher relationships are all equally critical components for educating our children ethically and successfully. After examining these proposed reforms in detail, Delavan also considers counterarguments and provides a detailed projection of costs and savings, putting to rest the assumption that smaller classes and smaller schools are necessarily more expensive. Finally, the book discusses possible steps toward implementation, showing how the author's proposed reforms are remarkably practical.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 1592138934 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781592138937 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1592138942 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781592138944 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: