Dyslexia in the digital age : making IT work
- Ian Smythe.
- London ; New York : Continuum, c2010.
- Physical description
- xi, 202 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC4818 .S59 2010||Unknown|
- Smythe, Ian.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 191-195) and index.
- 1. E-Assessments-- 2. Computerised assessment-- 3. Assistive Hardware-- 4. E-learning-- 5. E-learning software-- 6. Assessment of Learning-- 7. Multilingualism, language learning and ICT-- 8. Increasing awareness-- 9. Conclusions.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780826430823 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- Ian Smythe highlights state of the art technology for those teachers with responsibility for supporting and enabling dyslexic students. Dyslexia is a complex condition, and every dyslexic needs a different solution. Technology is not that solution, but a part of the process to minimise the impact of dyslexia on individuals so that they can demonstrate their potential in school or at work, and to assist with the difficulties they face in everyday situations. The advent of the personal computer was enabling for many, allowing presentation of material that highlighted abilities rather than disabilities. Today, laptops have become lifesavers for some, but for others they are disabling. While other students shine by using the technology, some dyslexics get lost in a sea of assistive technology and well intended, but misguided support. This book takes the reader back to basics, from understanding the needs of the dyslexic individual to getting the most from available technology. It does this by providing frameworks from theoretical perspectives and following this through to practical implementation, including reviews of the most common types of software. There is plenty of practical advice on how to support dyslexic individuals using technology, including how to get the most out of what is available. It highlights state of the art, and what more still needs to be done to make the technology truly enabling for all dyslexics.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780826430823 20160528
- Publication date
- 0826430821 (hbk.)
- 9780826430823 (hbk.)
- 0826438830 (pbk.)
- 9780826438836 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: