Language and poverty
- edited by Wayne Harbert with help from Sally McConnell-Ginet, Amanda Miller and John Whitman.
- Bristol, UK ; Buffalo, NY : Multilingual matters, c2009.
- Physical description
- xiii, 225 p. ; 22 cm.
- Multilingual matters ; 141
Education Library (Cubberley)
|P40 .L2833 2009||Unknown|
- Harbert, Wayne.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- 1. Introduction - Wayne Harbert, Sally McConnell-Ginet, Amanda Miller and John Whitman-- Section I: Poverty as a Factor in Language Maintenance and Language Death-- 2. Poverty as a Factor in Language Maintenance and Language Death - Herman Batibo-- 3. Language Diversity and Poverty in Africa - Matthias Brenzinger-- Section II: Language as a Determinant of Access to Resources-- 4. The Impact of the Hegemony of English on Access to and Quality of Education with Special Reference to South Africa - Neville Alexander-- 5. Econolinguistics in the USA - John Baugh-- 6. Where in the World is US Spanish? - Ofelia Garcia and Leah Mason-- 7. Perpetuating Inequality: Language Disadvantage and Capability Deprivation of Tribal Mother Tongue Speakers in India - Ajit Mohanty-- Section III: Language and Poverty: A Cross-disciplinary Perspective-- 8. Biodiversity, Linguistic Diversity and Poverty - Suzanne Romaine-- 9. Language and Poverty: Measurement, Determinants and Policy Responses - Francois Vaillancourt-- 10. Losing their Names: Native Languages, Identity and the State - Peter Whiteley-- Section IV: Language, Poverty and the Role of the Linguist-- 11. The Role of the Linguist in Language Maintenance and Revitalization- Lenore Grenoble, Keren Rice, and Norvin Richards-- 12. Preserving Digital Language Materials - Helen Aristar-Dry-- Conclusion.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781847691200 20160527
- Publisher's Summary
- This volume explores the complex interactions of language with economic resources. How does poverty affect language survival? How is the economic status of individuals affected by the languages they do or do not speak? The authors address these questions from multiple perspectives, drawing on linguistics, language policy and planning, economics, anthropology, and sociology.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781847691200 20160527
- Publication date
- 9781847691187 (hbk : alk. paper)
- 1847691188 (hbk : alk. paper)
- 9781847691194 (pbk : alk. paper)
- 1847691196 (pbk : alk. paper)
- 9781847691200 (ebook)
- 184769120X (ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: