Improving standards-based learning : a process guide for educational leaders
- Carr, Judy F.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2009.
- Physical description
- xv, 183 p. : ill. ; 29 cm.
LB2822.82 .C365 2009
- Unknown LB2822.82 .C365 2009
- Harris, Douglas E.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 176) and index.
- List of Worksheets Preface 1. Creating the Focus for Standards-Based Learning 2. Establishing a Curriculum Development, Implementation, Evaluation Cycle 3. Preparing for Committee Meetings 4. Group Dynamics: A Guide for the Committee Chair 5. Developing the K-12 Curriculum Guidelines 6. Publishing and Celebrating the Document 7. Development of Common Assessments: A Design Overview 8. Planning for Implementation 9. Three Strategies to Support Implementation 10. Curriculum-Based Program Evaluation References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- 'This is the best nuts-and-bolts guide for improving teaching and learning in our schools. Carr and Harris have been successful in every school district they have consulted in. Now we have access to their insight and experience in a book that is perfectly laid out with examples and worksheets to guide successful instructional improvement. If you're serious about instructional leadership, this is the one book you need on your desk' - Kenneth W. Eastwood, Superintendent, Middletown City School District, NY. Although schools and districts across the country have made notable strides in their instructional programs, educators continue to struggle with developing curriculum that addresses each learner's needs and strengths, is aligned to instruction and assessment, supports standards-based learning, and results in increased student learning. In this book, the authors provide a curriculum and improvement process that not only shows school leaders how to design a strong, coherent curriculum but also leads the reader through the critical processes of implementing and then evaluating that curriculum for instructional improvement. This resource is packed with ready-to-use tools that can be tailored to meet site-specific needs and includes examples from schools and districts, proven strategies, guidelines and worksheets, graphics and vignettes that illustrate key points, and questions that promote reflection. The book addresses key issues, including: How is curriculum put together? Who should be involved and what should be included? How should we go about it and how long will it take? What should be considered during implementation? and, how is curriculum evaluated? Whether you are experienced or just getting started, "Improving Standards-Based Learning" provides an accessible framework with numerous tools for developing a curriculum that can generate substantive improvement in teaching and learning.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Judy F. Carr, Doug Harris.
- 9781412965699 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 1412965691 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781412965705 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1412965705 (pbk. : alk. paper)