Classroom discourse analysis : a tool for critical reflection
- Betsy Rymes.
- Cresskill, N.J. : Hampton Press, c2009.
- Physical description
- x, 261 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Discourse and social processes.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1034 .R965 2009||Unknown|
- Rymes, Betsy.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 251-256) and indexes.
- INTRODUCTION TO CRITICAL CLASSROOM DISCOURSE ANALYSIS. What is (Critical) Classroom Discourse Analysis? Organization of the Book. Conclusion. Questions and Activities. Suggested Readings. DIMENSIONS OF DISCOURSE AND IDENTITY. The First Dimension: Social Context. The Second Dimension: Interactional Context. The Third Dimension: Individual Agency. Questions and Activities. Suggested Reading. GETTING TO THE TALK I: RECORDING AND VIEWING IN THREE DIMENSIONS. Recording in Three Dimensions. Viewing in Three Dimensions. Questions and Activities. Suggested Reading. GETTING TO THE TALK II: TRANSCRIBING AND ANALYZING IN THREE DIMENSIONS. Transcribing in Three Dimensions. Doing Three Dimensional Analysis: An Example - Ignoring a Student's Contribution. Putting It All Together: Multidimensional Classroom Discourse Analysis. Questions and Activities. ANALYZING TURN-TAKING RESOURCES. Analyzing Traditional Classroom Turn taking Patterns. Nontraditional Turn-Taking Patterns. Putting it all Together: MultiDimensional Analysis of Classroom Turn taking. Questions and Activities. ANALYZING CONTEXTUALIZATION RESOURCES. Contextualization Cues. Combinations. Context. Consequences. Agency through Awareness of Contextualization Resources. Putting It all Together: Multidimensional Analysis. of Contextualization Resources. Questions and Activities. ANALYZING NARRATIVE RESOURCES INTO-THROUGH-AND BEYOND: THE INTERACTIONAL DIMENSION. Into-Through-and-Beyond: Individual Agency. Questions and Activities. ANALYZING FRAME RESOURCES. How Framing Resources Emerge from Social Context. Framing Resources in Interactional Context: How Participant Structures Frame Classroom Talk. Using Framing Resources for Agency. Putting it all Together: Analyzing Framing Resources. Questions and Activities. CREATING NEW LEARNING ENVIRONMENTS THROUGH CRITICAL CLASSROOM DISCOURSE ANALYSIS. Reviewing the Three Dimensions of Classroom Discourse. Reflecting, Redoing, and Revisiting. Questions and Activities. Glossary. References. Author Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781572739024 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- This book makes techniques widely used in the field of discourse analysis accessible to a broad audience and illustrates their application in the study of classroom talk. Its separate chapters illustrate the analysis of interactional resources such as turn taking, participation frameworks, narrative and contextualization cues, and modeling forms of discourse analysis teachers may practice in their classrooms. Throughout, the author urges readers to use these analytic tools to investigate their own assumptions about what goes on in classrooms, what counts as knowledge, and how features of talk and interaction influence who gets to learn.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781572739024 20160528
- Publication date
- Discourse and social processes
- 9781572739024 (hardbound)
- 1572739029 (hardbound)
- 9781572739031 (paperbound)
- 1572739037 (paperbound)
Browse related items
Start at call number: