The Greenwood encyclopedia of folktales and fairy tales
- edited by Donald Haase.
- Westport, Conn. : Greenwood Press, 2008.
- Physical description
- 3 v. (xxxix, 1160 p.) : ill. ; 27 cm.
- Haase, Donald. Editor
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- v. 1. A-F
- v. 2. G-P
- v. 3. Q-Z.
- Publisher's Summary
- Folk and fairy tales exist in all cultures and are at the heart of civilization. The most comprehensive work of its kind, this massive Encyclopedia gives students and general readers a broad, accessible, multicultural survey of folk and fairy tales from around the world. Edited by one of the foremost authorities on the subject, the Encyclopedia draws on the work of numerous expert contributors and covers a broad range of themes and motifs, characters and character types, genres, individuals, national traditions, and other topics. Included are hundreds of alphabetically arranged entries on such subjects as: African American Tales Hans Christian Andersen Cartoons and Comics Changeling Childhood and Children Charles Dickens Egyptian Tales Elves Fable Nathaniel Hawthorne Internet Pigs Puck Riddle Maurice Sendak Stamps Virginia Woolf And many more. Entry topics were chosen in consultation with a nine-member Advisory Board that includes some of the most prominent scholars currently pursuing the study of folk and fairy tales, such as Professor Jack Zipes of the University of Minnesota, whose work has revolutionized research on fairy tales. Entries cite works for further reading, and the Encyclopedia closes with a bibliography of print and electronic resources. Literature students will value this book as an aid to understanding and analyzing folk and fairy tales as literary forms, while social studies students will appreciate the book's examination of the foundations of world cultures. And becausemany of these tales continue to influence films, television, and popular culture, general readers will welcome the Encyclopedia as a means of understanding the modern world. FEATURES AND BENEFITS: Covers folk and fairy tales from around the world. Includes hundreds of alphabetically arranged entries by numerous expert contributors. Cites print and electronic resources. Includes entries on genres, themes and motifs, characters and character types, individuals, national traditions, and other topics. Discusses the presence of folk and fairy tales in literature and popular culture. Extensively cross-referenced. Fully illustrated. Helps literature students analyze and undestand folk and fairy tales as literary forms. Helps social studies students understand folk and fairy tales as the foundation of cultures around the world. Fosters a respect for cultural diversity. The Greenwood Encyclopedia of World Folklore and Folklife is organized into volumes on particular regions, and by culture group within each region. This book has a straight alphabetical organization of entries. The Greenwood Encyclopedia of World Folklore and Folklife includes substantial entries on particular culture groups. This book includes entries on national folktale and fairy tale traditions, but most of the entries are topical. The Greenwood Encyclopedia of World Folklore and Folklife covers all types of folklore and folklife. This book is limited to folktales and fairy tales. The Greenwood Encyclopedia of World Folklore and Folklife includes a smaller number of entries.This book includes a larger number of entries. The Greenwood Encyclopedia of World Folklore and Folklife does little with the presence of folktales and fairy tales in literature, film, and mass media. This book includes entries on authors and their use of folktales and fairy tales in their works.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780313334443 20160527
- Publication date
- 9780313334412 ((set) : alk. paper)
- 0313334412 ((set) : alk. paper)
- 9780313334429 ((vol 1) : alk. paper)
- 0313334420 ((vol 1) : alk. paper)
- 9780313334436 ((vol 2) : alk. paper)
- 0313334439 ((vol 2) : alk. paper)
- 9780313334443 ((vol 3) : alk. paper)
- 0313334447 ((vol 3) : alk. paper)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: