Perspectives on the nature of intellectual styles
- edited by Li-fang Zhang & Robert J. Sternberg.
- New York : Springer Pub. Co., c2009.
- Physical description
- xvii, 310 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|BF311 .P47 2009||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- PART I: MODELS-- Chapter 1. A Duplex Model of Cognitive Style-- Chapter 2. The Disposition to Understand for Yourself at University and Beyond: Learning Processes, the Will to Learn, and Sensitivity to Context-- Chapter 3. Revisiting the Value Issue in Intellectual Styles-- Chapter 4. How are Intellectual Styles Related to Creativity Across Multiple Domains?-- Chapter 5. Re-affirming Style as an Individual Difference - Toward a Global Paradigm or Knowledge Diaspora?-- PART II: APPLICATIONS-- Chapter 6. Problem Solving, Creativity, and the Level-Style Distinction-- Chapter 7. The Place of Cognitive Style in Pedagogy: Realising Potential in Practice-- Chapter 8. Learning Styles Applied: Harnessing Students' Instructional Style Preferences.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780826104601 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- Teachers often assume that student performance levels are based on the student's intelligence, effort, and motivation. This book argues that the difference in students' knowledge of course material may be nothing more than differences in intellectual styles of learning or thinking. Intellectual styles, an umbrella term for such constructs as cognitive styles, learning styles, teaching styles, and thinking styles, refer to people's preferred ways of processing information. This stimulating and provocative text integrates the most recent theories and research on intellectual styles. It distinguishes styles from other constructs, such as intellectual capacity or effort levels. It situates the field of styles within the large context of the psychological, educational, and business literatures. It presents perspectives on the controversial issues and emerging debates in the field. It provides concrete guidelines for practitioners to apply the concept of styles to educational and business settings.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780826104601 20160528
- Publication date
- 9780826104601 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0826104606 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780826104618 (ebook)
- 0826104614 (ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: