Between movement and establishment : organizations advocating for youth
- Stanford, Calif. : Stanford University Press, c2009.
- Physical description
- ix, 217 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- McLaughlin, Milbrey Wallin.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 195-207) and index.
- Organizations advocating for youth
- Understanding advocacy in context
- Conditions for youth in San Francisco and Oakland
- Populations of organizations
- Structure, targets, and tactics
- Community organizations : three cases
- Diverse ways of making a difference
- Community- and national-level processes
- Youth advocacy on the ground.
- Publisher's Summary
- This pathbreaking book examines the strategies, successes, and challenges of youth advocacy organizations, highlighting the importance of local contexts for these efforts. Working between social movements and the political establishment, these organizations occupy a special niche in American politics and civil society. They use their position to change local agendas for youth and public perceptions of youth, and work to strengthen local community support systems. "Between Movement and Establishment" describes how youth advocacy organizations affect change in a fragmented urban policy environment. It considers the different constituencies that organizations target, including public officials and policies, specific service sectors, and community members, and looks at the multiple tactics advocates employ to advance their reform agendas, such as political campaigns, accountability measures, building civic capacity, research, and policy formation.This work further examines the importance of historical, organizational, and political contexts in explaining the strategies, actions, and consequences of advocacy organizations' efforts at the local level, bringing to light what is effective and why.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Milbrey McLaughlin ... [et al.].
- Title Variation
- Between movement & establishment
- 9780804762106 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0804762104 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780804762113 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0804762112 (pbk. : alk. paper)