What is intelligence? : beyond the Flynn effect
- James R. Flynn.
- 1st expanded pbk. ed.
- Cambridge, UK ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2009.
- Physical description
- xiv, 259 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|BF431 .F57 2009||Unknown|
- Flynn, James R. (James Robert), 1934-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 237-251) and indexes.
- Preface to the expanded paperback edition-- 1. A bombshell in a letter box-- 2. Beyond the Flynn effect-- 3. Towards a new theory of intelligence-- 4. Testing the Dickens/Flynn model-- 5. Why did it take so long?-- 6. IQ gains can kill-- 7. What if the gains are over?-- 8. Knowing our ancestors-- 9. The art of writing cognitive history-- 10. About GUT: the grand unification theory of intelligence-- 11. Howard Gardner and the use of words-- Appendix I: Tables-- Appendix II: Declaration in a capital case.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780521741477 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- The 'Flynn effect' refers to the massive increase in IQ test scores over the course of the twentieth century. Does it mean that each generation is more intelligent than the last? Does it suggest how each of us can enhance our own intelligence? Professor Flynn is finally ready to give his own views. He asks what intelligence really is and gives a surprising and illuminating answer. This expanded paperback edition includes three important new essays. The first contrasts the art of writing cognitive history with the science of measuring intelligence and reports new data. The second outlines how we might get a complete theory of intelligence, and the third details Flynn's reservations about Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences. A fascinating and unique book that bridges the gulf separating our minds from those of our ancestors a century ago, and makes an important contribution to our understanding of human intelligence.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780521741477 20160528
- Publication date
- 9780521741477 (pbk.)
- 0521741475 (pbk.)
- 9780521880077 (cased)
- 0521880076 (cased)
Browse related items
Start at call number: